Is Samson thin? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Is Samson thin?

Is Samson thin?-1371917211978.jpgIs Samson thin?-1371917237552.jpg

So, I hsve been feeding samson Fromms LBP for a couple weeks now. Before that he did have coccidia and roundworms so was on boiled chicken and rice diet. When I look from above he looks thin to me and I am just wondering if its still bc of all diarrhea he had or if I need to start feeding him more. Currently I feed him 3 cups a day ( 1c X 3 times a day). I weighed him yesterday at 22 lbs at 11 weeks. He is gaining bc at the vet he weighed 18.9 lbs. Also his stools were firm but in the last couple days have gotten soft again. Thanks.
Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1371917249863.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	83098  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 01:43 PM
Crowned Member

Samson looks just right to me. Puppies grow by fits and starts. Some seem to grow long and lean and look like a string bean, then fill out later. For the stools, that varies too, depending on activity, teething, how much chewing. For the feeding, if Samson seems hungry, I would try adding a little more -maybe an 1/8th of a cup at each meal. If he leaves it, then go back to the 1 cup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 01:50 PM
Crowned Member

Actually, he looks a little chunky to me.
You do not need to be feeding him more. German Shepherd puppies need to be thin. Slow and steady growth is very good for the joints.

Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12

Rolf, black German import ♥️ DOB 6-7-2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

I do not want to come off the wrong way, bc I mean it to be concerned NOT rude. How does he look chunky? The reason I thought thin was bc of the the view from above looking down. I do not want my puppy to be chucky or thin. Is there a way I can check him that would be a better indicator as if he is or becomes thin or chunky?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 02:45 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay1126 View Post
I do not want to come off the wrong way, bc I mean it to be concerned NOT rude. How does he look chunky? The reason I thought thin was bc of the the view from above looking down. I do not want my puppy to be chucky or thin. Is there a way I can check him that would be a better indicator as if he is or becomes thin or chunky?
Don't confuse his structure with his condition. He may look "thin" when viewed from above, but he's still a baby. As he matures, he will fill out, and broaden. The way I check my dogs' condition to determine if they're getting the right amount of food is to run my hand down their sides, what I call a "rib check". If I can't easily feel all the ribs and maybe see the last one or two, I cut back the food a little temporarily. If the ribs feel overly prominent and I can see more than one or two, I increase the food a little.

He's in a rapidly growing phase and his condition will change quickly at this age, so I'd do a rib check every few days, or at least once a week.

ETA: You want to see a bit of a "waist" when you look down on him, and a tuck up at the abdomen when viewed from the side.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

So what would be the ideal "rib check", meaning you would not change food at all? I have always been told you want to feel but not see ribs. I am now aware that many of the things I have heard is incorrect, is that also? Thanks for the help. I just did a rib check on Samson and you can feel all his ribs and see where they stop, but not by much. You can not see any individual rib but you can see where it goes in after rib cage a bit. Opinions? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
Don't confuse his structure with his condition. He may look "thin" when viewed from above, but he's still a baby. As he matures, he will fill out, and broaden. The way I check my dogs' condition to determine if they're getting the right amount of food is to run my hand down their sides, what I call a "rib check". If I can't easily feel all the ribs and maybe see the last one or two, I cut back the food a little temporarily. If the ribs feel overly prominent and I can see more than one or two, I increase the food a little.

He's in a rapidly growing phase and his condition will change quickly at this age, so I'd do a rib check every few days, or at least once a week.

ETA: You want to see a bit of a "waist" when you look down on him, and a tuck up at the abdomen when viewed from the side.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 04:38 PM

He's definitely NOT chunky so don't worry, he looks ideal to me. I've seen purebreds much skinnier than that who were still healthy, just built differently. Gsd's are lanky when they grow and some even stay lanky when they're older but youRs looks like he'll be nice and filled out

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 06:37 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay1126 View Post
I just did a rib check on Samson and you can feel all his ribs and see where they stop, but not by much. You can not see any individual rib but you can see where it goes in after rib cage a bit. Opinions? Thanks.
That sounds fine. I definitely would not increase his food at this time, but if he does start feeling noticeably more ribby I'd up it a little bit, maybe 1/4 cup a day, for example.

As far as seeing ribs, that's going to depend a lot on the kind of coat. Right how he's got a wooly puppy coat, so he may feel fine when you run your hand down his side and yet you won't be able to see that last rib or two because he's fluffy.

Dogs with shorter, tighter stock coats (vs a more plushy stock coat that doesn't lay as close to the body) are going to look thinner, even if they really aren't. My dogs are longcoats - Keefer's fur is longer and silkier than Halo's, who has a shorter but very thick and plush coat. Unless my dogs have just stepped out of the water and are still dripping wet, I NEVER see their ribs! Halo, in particular, often looks chubby until I see her wet, and there's a lot less dog under all that fur than you would have guessed, so I have to really depend on how she feels to the touch rather than how she looks to the eye.

You don't need to overthink it - a little bit more or a little bit less food isn't going to be a huge deal, and because he's growing rapidly the perfect amount of food today may not be enough by next week.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 02:35 PM
Knighted Member

He looks just right to me as well.

Jazz, Shiloh Shepherd, 5 yrs old, CGC HIC
Bunny, GSD X, 7.5 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page