Loose soft stools - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Loose soft stools

Our pup is 4 months old and weighs roughly 40 lbs.
When she came home beginning of April we started her on Adult Orijen. She didnít like it all. We tried it out for a couple of weeks, her stools were loose and very soft. We switched her to Adult Frommís, which she seems to like. We are feeding her 3 cups a day divided into breakfast, lunch, dinner and of course her training treats throughout the day.
After reading the posts on the site seems others have had the same issue when feeding 3 cups and have increased to 4 cups spread over a day, not sure if it was puppy food or adult food.
Thing is, her stool is still loose and very soft. Not sure if we should wait it out or increase her food to 4 cups or try switching to another kind? If switching her food any suggestions on kind and if it should puppy or adult?
Thanks for everyoneís suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 12:21 PM

I was always told to keep a puppy on puppy food until little over a year old. It has a lot of nutrients they need to grow. I think adult food might be a little harsh on there stomachs. But I could be completely wrong. I feed my 4 month old taste of the wild puppy food. He does really well on it and I have had no issues. Hopefully someone who knows a little more about food can give you more insight. Just my opinion! Good luck

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashas_mommy View Post
Our pup is 4 months old and weighs roughly 40 lbs.
When she came home beginning of April we started her on Adult Orijen. She didnít like it all. We tried it out for a couple of weeks, her stools were loose and very soft. We switched her to Adult Frommís, which she seems to like. We are feeding her 3 cups a day divided into breakfast, lunch, dinner and of course her training treats throughout the day.
After reading the posts on the site seems others have had the same issue when feeding 3 cups and have increased to 4 cups spread over a day, not sure if it was puppy food or adult food.
Thing is, her stool is still loose and very soft. Not sure if we should wait it out or increase her food to 4 cups or try switching to another kind? If switching her food any suggestions on kind and if it should puppy or adult?
Thanks for everyoneís suggestions.
I would take at least 3 weeks during the transition. I would keep puppy on puppy food too or at least an all life stage formula.. I'm a freak when it comes to joint problem so I watch calcium level on the food I feed closely.

Lincoln - 12/30/12
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 09:43 PM

If she is having soft stools on 3 cups a day, increasing to 4 cups wouldn't make things better. The loose stools isn't due to not enough food.
I'd suggest switching to LBP gold if you want to stick with Fromm.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 09:49 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinapayton View Post
I was always told to keep a puppy on puppy food until little over a year old. It has a lot of nutrients they need to grow. I think adult food might be a little harsh on there stomachs. But I could be completely wrong.

Puppy food actually has too much calcium for a growing GSD, unless it is a large breed puppy formula.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12

Rolf, black German import ♥️ DOB 6-7-2019
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 10:19 PM
Elite Member

My vet said not to feed puppy food. Riley has issues with soft poo. We started using enzymes on his food and they are normal now.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
Puppy food actually has too much calcium for a growing GSD, unless it is a large breed puppy formula.
So I should just feed him regular adult taste of the wild ? I don't think they have a large breed formula.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 11:09 PM
Crowned Member

To the OP, try less food. Loose poop can be a sign of over feeding. Don't go by the cups to feed on the bag, its a suggestion and you can play with it.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 11:10 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
So I should just feed him regular adult taste of the wild ? I don't think they have a large breed formula.

Vet has always told me that a high quality adult food is fine.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 11:20 PM
Elite Member

Quote:

My vet said don't feed puppy food or large breed food. Just regular adult dog food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page