Lack of Transition .. or Something Else? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Lack of Transition .. or Something Else?

I'm not 100 percent sure it was the food (he also had shots etc Friday), but Saturday I had to buy a new bag of food for my puppy. My breeder had been using Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover's Soul. She used the regular puppy food when weaning because of the smaller morsels, but told us we could switch to the large breed puppy version. I assumed (wrongly perhaps?) that I wouldn't need to transition since it was the same brand.

He has had some firm stools with just a couple loose, but his last two or three have all been loose (pudding). Now I'm concerned that the food itself isn't good. This food is only sold at one place in town, a store I've never frequented before. Of course I could be overthinking it at this point as well. If it's just the fact that I should have transitioned, should I just give it a couple more days? Maybe with a little pure pumpkin? Or should I go buy a small bag of the original food and step back a little. I'm not sure I will continue feeding the food, but didn't want to change him immediately (have had him two weeks).

If it continues, I will be taking him to the vet to be retested for coccidia. He had a mild case of it when the breeder took him to the vet and was on Albon. I am more inclined to think it was either something related to the vet visit or the food since he went to the vet Friday and started the new food Saturday. Sunday was his first time to have diarrhea (once). Once Monday, but Tuesday he had a couple and this morning he did as well.

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 12:39 PM
Crowned Member

I think it could be the sudden change in diet. I transition over 3 weeks gradually increasing the amount of new to old. So I suggest you get the old food so you can transition it. Also it may be a good time to reconsider that new food choice especially with only one local source. Just because the breeder had the pup on one food doesn't mean you need to stay with it - I didn't. I haven't used pumpkin but from the other threads I have been reading, I would try it in your case. Also, I agree with you if the condition doesn't improve or it worsens, I would take him to the vet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galathiel View Post
I'm not 100 percent sure it was the food (he also had shots etc Friday), but Saturday I had to buy a new bag of food for my puppy. My breeder had been using Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover's Soul. She used the regular puppy food when weaning because of the smaller morsels, but told us we could switch to the large breed puppy version. I assumed (wrongly perhaps?) that I wouldn't need to transition since it was the same brand.

He has had some firm stools with just a couple loose, but his last two or three have all been loose (pudding). Now I'm concerned that the food itself isn't good. This food is only sold at one place in town, a store I've never frequented before. Of course I could be overthinking it at this point as well. If it's just the fact that I should have transitioned, should I just give it a couple more days? Maybe with a little pure pumpkin? Or should I go buy a small bag of the original food and step back a little. I'm not sure I will continue feeding the food, but didn't want to change him immediately (have had him two weeks).

If it continues, I will be taking him to the vet to be retested for coccidia. He had a mild case of it when the breeder took him to the vet and was on Albon. I am more inclined to think it was either something related to the vet visit or the food since he went to the vet Friday and started the new food Saturday. Sunday was his first time to have diarrhea (once). Once Monday, but Tuesday he had a couple and this morning he did as well.
When I switch food, even though they are from the same brand, I still go through 3 weeks transition period because they have different ingredients. I switched him off of breeder food that second week of bringing him home because it was junk. If I were you and only have one store would sell them locally I would do research and choose the brand I want and order it online. Google shopping always find me a great deal with free shipping. Now I'm on auto shipping which make my life even easier.

One time during the transition, he has very very loose stool like water, I took him to the vet and after investigation we found out that he has been eating pebbles in the backyards. Vet put him on prescription can food only for three days to flush out all that pebbles and he was back to normal. Needless to say my husband and I spent the whole weekend get rid of those pebbles.

Lincoln - 12/30/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 02:53 PM
Banned

Honestly, I have no issues with transitioning my dogs between two brands of food. Sometimes, I have to use indras food for the others if I ran out and TSC is out Diamond. So they switch cold turkey and never did I have any issues with it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page