Not eating? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Not eating?

So, like my intro post said, I just got an 11 week old puppy. He's a great dog all around and in 3 days is potty trained, sleeps through the night, knows "sit" and for the most part "leave it"...walks great on a leash and is a great dog! Problem? He won't eat! I am feeling him solid gold wolf cub, and got some wellness canned food to mix to encourage him to eat. We've only ever put three or so tablespoons in the dry and mixed it up to encourage him to eat, and we feed him 1cup of dry 3 times a day. Today, I only put about 1 1/2 tablespoons of wet in his dinner to slowly transition him to full dry--but he only ate the kibble that had wet food on it! He also can't manage to finish a serving! Am I feeling too much? I've NEVER had a puppy, always adopted older dogs, so I am flying blind here! I just based the feeding from what the back of the bag says! He doesn't get any human food or any treats, so he should be hungry right?!?!? Help! Should I soak his kibble a bit? Maybe he still has a hard time with the dry food? And he doesn't poop much either! Smaller size poops maybe twice a day!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Sabo- March 19, 2013
Metro- November 2006- May 29, 2013
Instagram-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(I'm nuts)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Side note-- after reading I tried adding raw egg and he still wasn't pleased :/

Sabo- March 19, 2013
Instagram-

(I'm nuts)
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 09:26 PM
Crowned Member

He's not pooping because he's not eating.

Has he been to the vet? A lot of pups come with coccidia and other parasites and those can be quite painful. Otherwise he could still be just settling in so he's not feeling like eating yet.

One thing you could try (to see if it's because he just doesn't like the kibble) is to make a gravy with the wet food by adding some water to it and mixing it in with the kibble.

Why doesn't he get treats?

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 09:32 PM

Sounds like he likes the can food not the dry. Would you eat a food three times a day you don't like? One cup three times a day is good. My puppy likes taste of the wild puppy food. My breeder said do not feed raw eggs.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 09:42 PM

My Shadow was not interested in eating in the mornings when she was little, so I would suggest putting enough wet food in and mixing it enough that eating the wet food means eating the dry food. The gravy idea is good as well, and I get best results if the water is warm (not hot).

You might try switching dry food to something that your pup might find tastier as well. If you're good with Wellness, their large breed puppy food picked up my GSD's interest pretty well but she began smelling like fish (the first ingredient in the Wellness dry food is fish), so you might have to watch for that.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

So I got some of what the breeder was feeding (bil jac) and he still isn't too into eating, but he ate..and that food looks nothing like kibble! LOL and he did a monster poop (solid) tonight so I guess he's getting something. I'm gonna try 1/3 solid gold and 2/3 bil jac tomorrow with no canned and see how he does.

Sabo- March 19, 2013
Instagram-

(I'm nuts)
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Now we have the opposite problem :/ Now that I'm mixing in bill jack, all he wants is more food!Eekkkk....he ate all three servings today, and ate them right up! I also added some of that food that's in a roll (think cheese log style)...I grate about a tablespoon and mix that in there. Right now he was wandering around whining for more food...so I gave him a little more. Tomorrow morning we are heading into the vet. It's not time for round two of the shots, but I figure a peek in for a quick exam should be ok, just to make sure he's good to go.

I dont feed treats because (a) I dont want a dog to be motivated by food, I believe that praise motivation should be enough (b) I did get him one of those toys that dispenses treats when they roll it the right way to keep his mind busy.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 09:47 AM
Banned

make sure there's nothing medical goin on. maybe he doesn't
like what your feeding? why no human food or treats?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

No human food because its not the greatest for them (I'm talking table scraps) and no treats (unless from his puzzle toy) because I am a firm believer that dogs should work for praise not food (in my house anyway).

We went to the vet and he was cleared medically. The vet said he may just be stressed out.

Sabo- March 19, 2013
Instagram-

(I'm nuts)
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Update--- so, I caved and got some treats so I know he's getting something :/ we have been to the vet and he's medically fine. I have tried a few foods, he loves the bison jerky I got him, so I got bison based food.

I don't understand WHY he doesn't chow down. Seems like everyone talks about their dog diving at the food bowl, I'm good if Sabo eats half a meal :/

He IS gaining weight at least. On the 4th he was 21.4 lbs, on the 12th he was 25.6 and today he was 28.4. So while he is gaining it still freaks me out that he's not gaga over his food.

Water, dog gravy, shredded food logs, ugh. What can I do? The vet said just remove the food after 15 min, but I don't want him to starve himself!

Sabo- March 19, 2013
Instagram-

(I'm nuts)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page