Would switching to two meals help? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Would switching to two meals help?

My 5 months old is the pickiest eater in the world. In the pass 3 months that I have had him we switch through 3 different brands of food already. I ran out of idea. Right now I'm feeding him FROMM LBP and Merrick grain free can food as a topper. I switch the can food flavor every once in a while to keep him interested. Sometimes I put yogurt, egg, ground meat, cottage cheese, treat crumbles, you name it. Last couple of days he wouldn't even touch it at all. So I tried leave the food there so he can skim through it when he is hungry. But he just wouldn't eat. I'm feeding him three meals right now. Our vet wants me to increase his food from 3 cups to 3.5 cups a day and I just told her, just this 3 cups I already have to force it down his throat. He never really interested in treats much either. He would rather play his butt off than sit pretty waiting for a treat. But, one problem at a time, what am I gonna do with him? If I switch to feed him two times a day would that help? I figure if he is hungry he might want to eat more? Should I change the brand of food once again?

On a side note, he is 5 months and 53 lbs. He looks perfectly healthy, coat or build. His stool is firm. He still has a lot of energy and really love to play and is obviously in the teething stage.

Lincoln - 12/30/12
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 05:31 PM

I have a fussy eater too. Yes feeding twice a day may help somewhat.. The best thing to do is put the food down for twenty minutes, than pick it up. That is it till his next meal. Also I found it helped to add a cup of water and a heaping tablespoon of pumpkin, heat it in microwave so it's warm not hot.. That has helped with my fussy eater.. She still has her moments though. Good luck
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 06:42 PM

I have always feed twice a day. Also the put down for five to ten minutes tops then pick it up works. You force the dog to get hungry and train him to eat when you say to eat, or he waits.
you might want to try and switch to a Raw diet. My last shepherd was like that, picky to a fault with every dry food and can food. drove me nuts, then when a holistic vet suggested raw, I figured what the ****. Well it was a immediate fix. She would beg me for food. Each feeding she would eat everything right away. Plus you get the added benefit of pure feeding that will help over all.

you tried everything else, might as well try it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linck View Post
My 5 months old is the pickiest eater in the world. In the pass 3 months that I have had him we switch through 3 different brands of food already. I ran out of idea. Right now I'm feeding him FROMM LBP and Merrick grain free can food as a topper. I switch the can food flavor every once in a while to keep him interested. Sometimes I put yogurt, egg, ground meat, cottage cheese, treat crumbles, you name it. Last couple of days he wouldn't even touch it at all. So I tried leave the food there so he can skim through it when he is hungry. But he just wouldn't eat. I'm feeding him three meals right now. Our vet wants me to increase his food from 3 cups to 3.5 cups a day and I just told her, just this 3 cups I already have to force it down his throat. He never really interested in treats much either. He would rather play his butt off than sit pretty waiting for a treat. But, one problem at a time, what am I gonna do with him? If I switch to feed him two times a day would that help? I figure if he is hungry he might want to eat more? Should I change the brand of food once again?

On a side note, he is 5 months and 53 lbs. He looks perfectly healthy, coat or build. His stool is firm. He still has a lot of energy and really love to play and is obviously in the teething stage.
He wouldn't eat ground meat?? O_o

That is a very picky eater!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 10:49 PM
Elite Member

we feed twice a day also.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 11:57 PM
Banned

switch brands. he may not like what your feeding. find
something he likes. i had to switch brands twice when
my dog was a pup. i use a lot of different toppings on
my dog's kibble. when i give him yogurt it's organic. i also
give him his kibble plain (just water) sometimes just in case
i don't have a topping.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies, I did tried almost all you mentioned. I switch brand 3 times already in the pass 3 months. I wasn't clear on my first post. When I put topper on it he would scrap out the topper. I blended it together as much as I can but yet there would still be some kibbles left in the bowl.

I really really want to switch to raw but I have too many obstacles. We travel a lot and raw food wouldn't be convenience. I think if I do half raw half kibble that might get his attraction but if I ever have to feed him plain kibble after he get used to that he wouldn't touch it.

Is it really OK to feed 2 meals a day for a 5 months old?

Lincoln - 12/30/12
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linck View Post
Thanks for all the replies, I did tried almost all you mentioned. I switch brand 3 times already in the pass 3 months. I wasn't clear on my first post. When I put topper on it he would scrap out the topper. I blended it together as much as I can but yet there would still be some kibbles left in the bowl.

I really really want to switch to raw but I have too many obstacles. We travel a lot and raw food wouldn't be convenience. I think if I do half raw half kibble that might get his attraction but if I ever have to feed him plain kibble after he get used to that he wouldn't touch it.

Is it really OK to feed 2 meals a day for a 5 months old?
Three meals usually because their stomachs are too small to hold very much food, with two meals you can ensure he's hungry for the next meal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page