Blue Buffalo Wilderness Pup or Wilderness LBP - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Blue Buffalo Wilderness Pup or Wilderness LBP

On my quest to find out why my dog is itching so much, vet recommended switching diets.

He was originally on Wolf Cub by Solid Gold... and is currently in transition to Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken Puppy (100% Grain Free). BB just came out with a Wilderness LBP version of the same recipe. Not much difference in numbers as far as crude protein, fiber and calcium. Biggest difference was about 1% (protein)

My question is, they don't sell LBP of Wilderness at any stores around me. Should I go through the trouble of ordering for a 1% difference?

Also, I know a lot of people say it's a good kibble... but causes stool problems. I too have noticed loose and soft stools since I first started transitioning. Since then, the consistency has gotten a little more firm but still considered too soft for my liking. Could be due to the major difference in richness?

Wolf Cub is 26% Crude Protein Min.
Wilderness is 36% Min.

Those same people say it just takes longer to adjust but does get better, while others say they were quick to switch foods again. Advice? As far as I know this is a pretty good kibble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDNewbie1024 View Post
On my quest to find out why my dog is itching so much, vet recommended switching diets.

He was originally on Wolf Cub by Solid Gold... and is currently in transition to Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken Puppy (100% Grain Free). BB just came out with a Wilderness LBP version of the same recipe. Not much difference in numbers as far as crude protein, fiber and calcium. Biggest difference was about 1% (protein)

My question is, they don't sell LBP of Wilderness at any stores around me. Should I go through the trouble of ordering for a 1% difference?

Also, I know a lot of people say it's a good kibble... but causes stool problems. I too have noticed loose and soft stools since I first started transitioning. Since then, the consistency has gotten a little more firm but still considered too soft for my liking. Could be due to the major difference in richness?

Wolf Cub is 26% Crude Protein Min.
Wilderness is 36% Min.

Those same people say it just takes longer to adjust but does get better, while others say they were quick to switch foods again. Advice? As far as I know this is a pretty good kibble.
My pup had loose stool when he was on BB kibble too. I switched him off right before they had a recall so I've never go back yet. I would go with the LBP formula. I'm a freaked when it comes to the issue of growing too fast. I never had problem ordering food online. Lincoln is currently on FROMM LBP and I have it auto ship to me monthly.

Lincoln - 12/30/12
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 03:02 PM
Master Member

roxy is on large breed puppy
blue buffalo and she's doing GREAT on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 11:53 PM

Get LBP for proper bone development. Proper calcium to phosphorous ratio is a must to keep the dog from growing too fast and getting joint issues.

In the absence of LBP food, use adult food instead which is what people used prior to LBP food existence. Regular puppy food isn't good for large breeds.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont View Post
Get LBP for proper bone development. Proper calcium to phosphorous ratio is a must to keep the dog from growing too fast and getting joint issues.

In the absence of LBP food, use adult food instead which is what people used prior to LBP food existence. Regular puppy food isn't good for large breeds.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Excellent. Thanks!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Anyone's dog/pup stool really dark on Wilderness? When my pup was on Wolf Cub, it was a "good" shade of brown, since he's been on Wilderness, I've noticed it's been really dark, and at times almost black!

Cause for concern? Or comes with being on Wilderness.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 01:01 AM

LBP for sure!

I think it's best to be on a LBP formula. We've had Walter on one since we got him (he's 6 months) and it's great so far.

The only issue is mine hasn't had a growth spurt...I'm starting to get a little worried. Is it normal for a puppy to grow SO slowly while on LBP sustained growth food? Walter eats Wellness LBP dry and weighs 45lbs. Has anyone tried this or compared it to the Fromm, Wilderness, or BB? Any suggestions?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 10:00 AM
Master Member

I have Roxy on BB LBP and she's 5 months at the end of the month and #39 I think she's growing slowly too but the vet says she's perfect so I'm going with that
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 11:05 AM

I have Cezar on BB LAB and he is 5months 1 wk old and weighs 57lbs
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Mine just turned 4 months and is about 45lbs. Doing well on BB Wilderness so far... hopefully it will help with his allergies (it helps from what I hear from other BB users)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page