feeding issues. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

feeding issues.

ive got a 10 months female,I used to feed her 3 times a day a good propitiation bowl but her poop was always soft so ive talked a dog nutritionist and told me i was over feeding her so he told me to reduce her food so i did , know i give here 400 grams of dry food mixed with can food in the morning and same food but 250 and night, she still do runny poop sometimes but she got better. Now im worried coz shes like always hungry eats everything she find and eats her poop to somethimes + i think shes a bit skinny to, Shes healthy and strong and never gets tired but this issues of her poop and a bit skinny is worrying me. Any Advise?

All the post ive seen are all with cups anybody knows how much in grams are?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 01:49 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

What are you feeding her? The calorie count between foods varies, so you can't just look at the grams OR the cups.

Seeming hungry or even trying to eat her poop isn't the best indication of whether or not she's getting the right amount of food. Her condition (lean but not overly skinny) is much better.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 02:04 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovendis View Post
ive got a 10 months female,I used to feed her 3 times a day a good propitiation bowl but her poop was always soft so ive talked a dog nutritionist and told me i was over feeding her so he told me to reduce her food so i did , know i give here 400 grams of dry food mixed with can food in the morning and same food but 250 and night, she still do runny poop sometimes but she got better. Now im worried coz shes like always hungry eats everything she find and eats her poop to somethimes + i think shes a bit skinny to, Shes healthy and strong and never gets tired but this issues of her poop and a bit skinny is worrying me. Any Advise?

All the post ive seen are all with cups anybody knows how much in grams are?
Reading your post, one thing stuck out to me. Canned food. I started my pup out on canned food and he had soft poop most the time and would try to eat it also and I then transitioned him to a total dry food diet. I noticed that after going dry, his poop firmed up and things got better. I just switched his dry food to another brand and went through the soft serve looking poop again, but now that his diet is regulated his poop has firmed up again and he has stablized, meaning he's not begging for food. I feed him around 5 to 6 am 2 cups and then another 2 cups around 6 pm. He's 5 months old and around 50 lbs. You'll just have to experiment and see what works for your dog.

I don't have a gram scale or I would weight out a cup of dry dog food. You don't have a measuring cup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

i was feeding her ekuanuba for large breed but ive seen she was doing lot of runny poop so ive changed it to normal dry food from my local store she got better but still, shes lean not that skinny but here ribs are slightly visible and that's bother me, this week ive meet with the owner that got the brother of my dog and we've discovered that they've got the same issues, runny poop and they both eat there poop and there not big as normal German sheperds
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafo220 View Post
Reading your post, one thing stuck out to me. Canned food. I started my pup out on canned food and he had soft poop most the time and would try to eat it also and I then transitioned him to a total dry food diet. I noticed that after going dry, his poop firmed up and things got better. I just switched his dry food to another brand and went through the soft serve looking poop again, but now that his diet is regulated his poop has firmed up again and he has stablized, meaning he's not begging for food. I feed him around 5 to 6 am 2 cups and then another 2 cups around 6 pm. He's 5 months old and around 50 lbs. You'll just have to experiment and see what works for your dog.

I don't have a gram scale or I would weight out a cup of dry dog food. You don't have a measuring cup?
Nope because the nutritionist told me with grams so i stuck with weight. I have to stop canned food and try varios of dry food and see whats goes better?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 02:26 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
i was feeding her ekuanuba for large breed but ive seen she was doing lot of runny poop so ive changed it to normal dry food from my local store she got better but still, shes lean not that skinny but here ribs are slightly visible and that's bother me, this week ive meet with the owner that got the brother of my dog and we've discovered that they've got the same issues, runny poop and they both eat there poop and there not big as normal German sheperds
What brand? How many kcals per cup does it have? (Will be on the bag, and/or on the company's website.)

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Can't find any kcal on the packet , its brand is Orlando ( Health& Dry Dog Food 4KG)

Fast question. she just stole and ate a 1/4 of a 4kg bag :X and her stomach is kkinda puffed? need to worry ? or it will pass when she poops it
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 07:42 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Nope because the nutritionist told me with grams so i stuck with weight. I have to stop canned food and try varios of dry food and see whats goes better?
I would pick a high quality dry food, get a measure cup and start with what the package recommends as far as diet. Keep a log from where you start, and start with whats recommended then increase slightly until she has a loose stool or two then back it off to where it was before. You need to keep this as simple as possible for yourself. Split the feeding to at least two times a day. If the package says 3 cups, then feed 1 1/2 in the morning and 1 1/2 in the late afternoon. That way they don't get this sudden surge of protein all at once. Thats when they shoot the poop. It's the same for humans. I have a wieght lifter friend that gets the runs if he consumes to high a level of protien. When you over feed, the excess protein gets pooped out instead of utilised. Thats how I understand nutrition when it comes to high protein intake. Also, when transitioning to a different diet, this will sometimes cause the same problem with pooing. start the diet, and wait a few days for the dog to transition to the new food. It may require mixing a percentage of new food with old food.

I would recommend Blue Buffalo, but, I've only had my dog on it for a few days now with good results. His poo is firm now and he shows no signs of reacting to anything allergine wise. Our trainer informed us that GSD's were alittle more vulnerable to food allergines. To avoid foods with corn, soy and wheat ingredients. It's expensive though but worth it.

Above all, the best advice I have and I got it from this site is to do as much research yourself as possible. All dog food companies have recalls. But some are more notorious for recalls. Just do the research, decide on a food, and get her on a stable diet. I'd say if she doesn't get better in a week or so.....head to the vet and discuss the symptoms with them. Also do a good research for a good vet too. They just like dog food, are not all created equal.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the help
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 08:42 AM
Crowned Member

Sound like she needs digestive enzymes and a pro-biotic added to her food. If you can get one with Ox Bile in it....all the better.
There is not an ingredient list on the Health& Dry Dog Food 4KG. IMO - Make sure it doesn't contain "By-Products" like the Eukanuba does.
Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page