How much do you feed? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
yvo

How much do you feed?

Hans will be getting his 16 weeks puppy vaccinations next Monday. I'm guessing he's about 28 lbs now but I'm having trouble figuring out how much to feed him.

I'm currently feeding him Authority Grain-Free Puppy formula and the bag says to feed him twice a day a total of 3-3/4 cups. I can barely get him to eat 1-1/2 cups at each sitting. I walk him twice a day and play with him pretty often (not completely ideal but I have a 8a-5p job).

Does he look too lean?

How much do you feed?-imageuploadedbypg-free1369913912.320876.jpg

Ok, that may be too difficult to tell, he wouldn't stop moving and then when he did he'd platz. >_<

Thanks in advance for the help!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Yvonne (aka Yvo = Evo)
Pensacola, FL
GSD : Adelhelm "Hans" vom Schonwasser
(named after Hans-Joachim Stuck)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 08:45 AM
Master Member

Maybe try 3 meals a day Smaller portions at one time but still get the daily amount. Also the bags servings can be a little generous so maybe cut back a little. It took awhile for Penny to really put on weight because she got really tall and looked skinny. Now shes 8mo and starting to really fill herself out. They all grow at their own pace

Tom

Penny - 9/7/12 (GSD)

Abbi -5/9/09-12/7/12 (GSD)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 10:13 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

TommyB681 has some good suggestions. I only use the recommended amounts on the bag as a starting point, then keep an eye on how my pup looks to adjust the amounts to more or less.

Your pup looks a bit thin but that's not the best photo either (and I know it's hard to get a good picture). Try to have one of him standing with a side view, plus him standing and you are taking a photo looking directly down on him.

Many of our pups are picky eaters so you may want to read this --> https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...cky-eater.html

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 10:23 AM
Master Member

You basically have the product bag to start with as already mentioned. 2ND. You have to look at your dog and determine how he looks. (thin is in ) He is young keep him thin. 3RD. If you are over feeding his potty will tell you.

You can't compare what another person might be feeding their puppy because their puppy might be 90lbs when yours will be 70lbs at maturity.

Best thing is watch your puppy and keep him/her thin
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 10:41 AM
Master Member

so Roxy eats about 2 1/2 cups of blue buffalo large breed puppy food. She's 4 months today and weighs in at #35 lbs. Her brother who is also in our dog class weighs #50. Is that normal for the male dogs to be bigger?

When she gets her morning meal she acts like she wants me to put more in her bowl...but when I do that I can tell it's too much by her poops.
I too am always concerned that I'm underfeeding. I don't want to over feed either. OI!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 11:12 AM

my pup is 4 months and roughly 30 lbs. she is eating 4 cups of fromm LBP a day and is still skinny. I feed 4x a day and that has been great for her. a few times when ive only done 3 feedings she gets loose stools.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
yvo

Makes sense about the different dogs...I think Hans should max out at 85lbs, judging by his parents.

What does everyone mean by his stool? I've noticed he's started eliminating in the morning before breakfast and they're formed but still mushy and then he's been eliminating on our morning walk, about 30 minutes after feeding and that's typically yellow-ish and a lot mushy. He also goes in the evening after dinner and it's back to being formed but soft. Also, he's only been on Authority Grain-free for about 2 weeks (fully, I mixed it in slowly with his old food, which come to find out was garbage!)

Yvonne (aka Yvo = Evo)
Pensacola, FL
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 02:27 PM
Crowned Member

If you are training and using treats, remember to incorporate those treats into his daily food intake.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
yvo

Read some of the picky eater thread and added just a tablespoon of some wet Pedigree dog food to his 2 cup dinner. He ate all of it without stopping! Well, I took some pics of him eating. He doesn't look too bad. He kept scooting around his bowl as I tried to get the side shot and his tail was wagging a bit (noticed in another thread someone commented on a low tail in someone's photo as a sign of discontent).

Thanks for all the advice. I'll double check with the vet on Monday too.

I do also give him 1/2 calorie training treats on occasion so maybe that's why he doesn't eat much but I've also noticed it is really only breakfast that he picks at.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aywmox7pmen5sl2/IMAG0206.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f3axids1c04zjk0/IMAG0207.jpg

Yvonne (aka Yvo = Evo)
Pensacola, FL
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyssa62 View Post
so Roxy eats about 2 1/2 cups of blue buffalo large breed puppy food. She's 4 months today and weighs in at #35 lbs.
!
Is that 2 1/2 cups each time, or 2 1/2 cups total for the whole day, split up into meals?

My female puppy is right at 5 months and was thin when I got her (she was a rescue) and is just now 35#.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page