Need some advice about feeding skinny girl! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Need some advice about feeding skinny girl!

I hope I did this right, first time uploading pic.
Anyway, I need some advice about feeding her, please. Here is what she currently eats:

Breakfast: 1.5 cups Fromm LBP plus 4 oz canned (I rotate Wellness Puppy, Core, 95% Salmon, sometimes Tripett, basically new type each can) plus 1 g of NatureVet digestive enzymes and probiotics.

Lunch: 1 c. Fromm, plus 1/2 cup mashed sweet potato mixed with full fat goat yogurt and dosed with Wysong Pet Inoculant.

Dinner: 1.5 c Fromm plus canned as above.

She gets a frozen chicken foot at lunch too (her pasterns are a little bendy), plus treats with 2-3 training sessions a day, plus a raw chicken wing or marrow bone once a week.

If my pics uploaded, you can see how thin she is - all ribs visible, pelvis and spine visible. She came to me with Giardia, then had 2 UTI's, but has had 2 clear stool samples and no health issues for last 2 months. Oh, yeah, a bout with tonsillitis - who knew dogs got THAT! That's what prompted me to try the Pet Inoculant.

She has great energy and stamina, occasionally leaves a little food in the bowl but not often, and she's on monthly Quadriguard, which is ivermectin plus three other ingredients for hook, round, and tapeworm.

I have tried switching to Origen LBP, but she eats her poop as soon as I start with that (never on regular diet, however). Another grain free, higher protein and fat LBP food I think called NowFresh, also prompted corphagia.

Her breeder saw her a couple months ago, and said not to worry, she was always the tall, thin one and that she will fill out as she matures. Same response from vet and trainer (who's mother breeds GSD's so is familiar with skinny puppies). So maybe I should leave it as it is, but those jutting hip bones just seem too skinny to me.

So, please critique her diet, and offer suggestions as to other foods to try, especially if your dog also doesn't seem to tolerate Origen! Thanks very much

Last edited by kjdreyer; 05-27-2013 at 01:21 PM. Reason: forgot some info - she turned 6 mo on May 14, and she was 50 lbs about 3 weeks ago
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 01:23 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

How old is she? She's thin, but not to the point that I would be concerned about it. Fromm is a good food, and she's getting quite a bit of it, and then all the other stuff you're adding too.

As long as she's eating well and her stools are good I would tend to agree with the breeder and your vet that she'll fill out as she matures.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

She turned 6 months on May 14, and weighed 50lbs about 3 weeks ago. Thanks for reply, I don't want to fix anything that isn't broken, but she's a boney butt! She has plenty of energy too, we walk with her off leash at least 2 hours a day, with a good bit of fetching too, and only gets tired out if it's hot. Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 01:50 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I wouldn't be concerned about her weight at all, that's actually perfectly fine for her age, well within the average range.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page