Large Breed Puppy Food vs Adult - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

Large Breed Puppy Food vs Adult

I read from many sources that Large Breed Puppies do well on Adult formula, so I decided to switch from Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy Brown Rice and Chicken Recipe to the Adult Wilderness Salmon Recipe because I wanted to switch him a grain free formula, and I also think the fish oils from the Salmon recipe will do a lot of good for him as well.

He's about to turn 10 months, and he's been on the adult formula for two weeks.

With that said, I was at a pet store today, and they just got the Large Breed Puppy Wilderness as a new product, and now I'm wondering if I should switch him back to the Large Breed Puppy formula now that a Large Breed Grain Free formula is finally available.

Here are the specs between the two:

Adult Salmon:

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein 34.0% min
Crude Fat 15.0% min
Crude Fiber 6.5% max
Moisture 10.0% max
Calcium 1.3% min
Phosphorus 0.9% min
Omega 3 Fatty Acids* 0.3% min
Omega 6 Fatty Acids* 2.0% min

*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by AAFCO Dog

I noticed that the label does indeed have a feeding guideline for a large breed dog, so I've made the assumption that Calcium / Phosphorus ratio should be in safe territory for a large breed dog.

Large Breed Puppy:

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein 37.0% min
Crude Fat 14.0% min
Crude Fiber 6.5% max
Moisture 10.0% max
Calcium 1.2% min
Phosphorus 0.9% min
DHA* 0.1% min
Omega 3 Fatty Acids* 0.5% min
Omega 6 Fatty Acids* 2.5% min
L-Carnitine* 100 mg/kg min

*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.

What's everyone input?

Should I go back to the Large Breed Puppy Wilderness for the next two months and then go to the Salmon recipe when he turns to be a year, or is all this a gimmick, and I should stay on the Salmon Adult recipe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 02:39 AM

I am a bit concerned that this large breed puppy food doesn’t meet the current recommendations (aimed at reducing risk of developmental orthopaedic disease(DOD)): 0.7 - 1.2% DM calcium (your food has 1.2%minimum so it could potentially be higher), <12% fat on a dry matter basis.
The most critical period for development of DOD is before closure of the growth plates- 12 months in normal dogs. Growth plates of very large-giant breeds can remain open until 18-20 months.

Are the specs you provided on a Dry matter basis? And do you know the energy content?
You should be aiming for about 3.5 kcal (14.6 kJ) ME/g DM

There doesn’t seem to be that great a difference between the adult and puppy formations in that brand, but I would definitely keep him on the puppy food as the adult calcium content is too high. It sounds like you really don’t have another option if you want to keep him grain free.

Is that at all helpful?
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 03:05 AM
Banned

i've never fed puppy food to my dogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 03:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baleato View Post
I am a bit concerned that this large breed puppy food doesn’t meet the current recommendations (aimed at reducing risk of developmental orthopaedic disease(DOD)): 0.7 - 1.2% DM calcium (your food has 1.2%minimum so it could potentially be higher), <12% fat on a dry matter basis.
The most critical period for development of DOD is before closure of the growth plates- 12 months in normal dogs. Growth plates of very large-giant breeds can remain open until 18-20 months.

Are the specs you provided on a Dry matter basis? And do you know the energy content?
You should be aiming for about 3.5 kcal (14.6 kJ) ME/g DM

There doesn’t seem to be that great a difference between the adult and puppy formations in that brand, but I would definitely keep him on the puppy food as the adult calcium content is too high. It sounds like you really don’t have another option if you want to keep him grain free.

Is that at all helpful?
That's what I'm thinking.

I'm worried about the calcium phosphorus ratio since they don't display maximums.

However, when it comes to grain free formulas, there is no other choice no matter the brand unless I buy Orijen online which has even higher minimums, but maximums are displayed at least.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 04:15 AM
Banned

there's several grain free brands available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont View Post
That's what I'm thinking.

I'm worried about the calcium phosphorus ratio since they don't display maximums.

>>>>> However, when it comes to grain free formulas, there is no other choice no matter the brand <<<<<

unless I buy Orijen online which has even higher minimums, but maximums are displayed at least.

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
For large breed puppies?

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 05:39 AM
Master Member

i just started my 8mo old on adult food and shes doing well so im sure youll do fine

Tom

Penny - 9/7/12 (GSD)

Abbi -5/9/09-12/7/12 (GSD)
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 06:35 AM
Banned

oh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont View Post
For large breed puppies?

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 11:11 AM

I'm strongly considering going with the BB Wilderness for LBP. Currently Atlas (4 months old) is on Fromm LBP Gold. He's doing very well on it but would like to go grain free as well. I think it's too soon to go adult but that's just my opinion.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 12:13 PM
Master Member

we do the BB large breed puppy and I'm staying with that for awhile. You are always going to get different opinions about EVERY food you mention here. Just go with your gut. I had to stop driving myself crazy with this and spent an hour with my family owned for YEARS pet store owner. We went through labels and ingredients and blah blah blah and we decided for MY dog the BB large breed puppy was the way to go for now.

EVERYbody on here has an opinion on dog /puppy food. Just depends on who you want to listen to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page