Recent eating issues - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Recent eating issues

Penny is 8 mo now and has been eating Blue Buffalo chicken and brown rice since we brought her home at 14 weeks. Starting around Thursday getting her to eat has sort of been a pain. When you make her bowl she will timidly run into her crate. She will come out immeadiatly when called but not go anywhere near her food. Most the time she will eventually get to the food (in a matter of minutes, sometimes longer)and eat it but its reluctant. Its almost seems like shes scared of the food.....

Her tempermant is fine, energy and activity all great. So im stumped, never seen it before.

Thanks!!

Tom

Penny - 9/7/12 (GSD)

Abbi -5/9/09-12/7/12 (GSD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 07:48 AM

I'll add a few comments about this...

I had Mr. Dietmar Schellenberg, one of the original founders of SV in America, help me train Kona in basic obedience. Since I had not had a GSD in 40+ years I had a lot of questions. Plus I have asked others and read some.

Try White Rice instead of Brown... it is easier to digest.

Diet says a dog will not starve if you let it miss a meal.... or two. It helps with training... So maybe feed her only one meal a day... then see how she reacts.. You could feed her a small meal ... and then a larger... or the other way around.

#1 Tip I learned was Diet said try Liver Treats... for training.. He liked them fried.. but we saute them in water and a little olive oil.. It will last a week in the refrigeration.

I can tell you Kona loves Beef Liver ! So we added some to her food... sometimes at the end when she would hardly eat... She ate the rest then, and often wanted more.

A man who raised bulls and dogs said he feed his dogs Hamburger Meat... So we tried it.. both fried and raw (if fresh). That gave her more energy and put on some weight.. She prefers it raw.... So now I have used both the hamburger + liver.. and it seems to be her favorite.

Also I add Salmon Fish Oil to her food.

I use Acana.. but Royal Canine kibble dog food. Currently I am trying Wellness because of the high protein, and she likes it. I think they need variety.

I have added some canned dog food at times, and even beef gravy... Both have gotten her to eat more.

I notice if I put too much water in the food... she eats less... She tends to like it thick.

The Beef... or maybe Chicken Liver has been the best suggestion I have come across. She likes a little of the blood poured in the bowl to flavor it too.

If she does not eat well I also find if I serve it to her in a spoon she laps it up... I think she likes attention.

Hope this helps...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks Perdido. My concern is what is the drastic change? and the fact she practically runs from the food when you first make it. Im not terribly concerned just put off alittle

Tom

Penny - 9/7/12 (GSD)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 08:43 AM
Crowned Member

"She will come out immeadiatly when called but not go anywhere near her food."

Your dogs' nose knows!
Something may be wrong with that bag of food.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Today was a pretty good example: Got home from work at 8am, took her to pee. Came in and had her sit/ laydown near her bowl like normal. When I made the bowl and started walking toward her she got up and layed down in the living room. I sat the bowl on the floor and after about 7-10 minutes she got up and ate the food. I was a sleep for dinner, but im pretty sure my girlfriend had no trouble.

This is one of the easier days but its just very strange to me. I feel like if something was wrong with the food or she was sick she wouldnt eat it. But she will just act scared of it for a few minutes. And by scared i mean ears back tail between her legs head on the floor or crouched in a corner wanting nothing to do with it. If you take it to her she wont even look at it

Tom

Penny - 9/7/12 (GSD)

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 07:05 AM
Banned

switch brands.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

should I switch BB all together or just switch specific type of BB shes on

Tom

Penny - 9/7/12 (GSD)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page