When do you stop "free feeding"? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

When do you stop "free feeding"?

Blitz is 13 weeks old now - 25lbs. We have been feeding him 3-4 cups of Blue a day. Usually 2 cups in the AM and 1.5-2 cups at night.

Sometimes he won't eat all of the food in the bowl; and we were told they only eat when hungry, so no overeating. At what age does this change to "I eat everything in sight?" Today he has wolfed down the 2 cups in the AM and PM, so I gave him one last cup just now which he also downed. He is now sitting in front of our pantry staring at the door - of course where we keep the dog food! Serious growth spurt happening, I think!

He is not fat, by any means. We were feeding 3 cups a day and our vet told us he looked a bit thin so we increased to 4 cups.

Our Pack

Hailey-Boxer dob 3/26/06
Kylie-GSD dob 8/24/07
Blitzen-GSD dob 2/4/13
Bandit + Tigger-our cats

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 11:29 PM
Crowned Member

I don't ever free feed. They learn real quick when food time is. They either eat or they don't.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 11:40 PM
Elite Member

We feed Riley twice a day. He just turned 6 months today and eats 4 to 5 cups a day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 11:57 PM
Banned

i fed my pup 1 cup in the am, 1 cup noonish and 1 cup
in the pm. he had snacks throughout the day and training
treats.. i didn't feed him more because he sat in front of the
cabinet door begging.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 12:02 AM
Crowned Member

I put slightly less then the recommended amount in the bowls and they pick at it, sometimes they finish it and sometimes they don't. They do not eat when I'm not home..the same food will be sitting there when I come home. They will finish that when I get home and if one of them is still hungry they will sit in front of the bag of food and I will give them a little bit more(this rarely happens). I just got my fourth dog and he seems to have the same eating patterns. None of mine gobble up the food or ever act like they have never seen food, they are very slow, calm eaters. I like that they are like that, its definitely better for them not to gobble up the food. They eat slow and actually digest it. They get one treat in the am before I leave and 1 at night before bed. New dogs will get more treats for training, but trained dogs don't get as much in training.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 02:32 PM
Elite Member

You don't have to stop free feeding if you don't want to. I prefer FF over SF (schedule feeding); he eats only when hungry and he doesn't over eat or scarf down meals. It cuts down on throwing up after meals and, I know this sounds silly, but if anything ever happens and he needs emergency surgery, I know he doesn't have a belly full of food that he could aspirate on and it, to me, cuts down on the risk of bloat related to having a full belly.

But this is all just my opinion.

RIP Sebastian, Baby, Cheyenne, Baxter. Gone but never forgotten.

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 02:34 PM
Crowned Member

I never free feed.

Even the 4 week old fosters I've had have scheduled meal times. I can't have food left around for anyone to eat.

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 02:40 PM
Knighted Member

In the veterinary field we almost always recommend control feeding. One of the biggest problems with free feeding is people then just dont know if their pet is eating or not. And an animal not eating is often the first indication to an owner that a pet is sick.

Also most pets simply dont self control properly. Some do, dont get me wrong, but the majority dont and they end up overweight. And then because so many pets in our society are overweight people dont know what a healhy weight really looks like. They will tell you their pet self regulates fine and isnt overweight but it usually is.

People to this day argue with me that zeke is a perfect weight (he needs to lose 15 lbs!) And that Berlin is too skinny! (Granted berlin is a lanky pup but he's a perfect weight even for an adult to look like him). How many people on here even post pictures saying their dog is too skinny how to fatten it up, and the dog looks like an ideal weight.

As far as puppies, I put down the desired amount I want them to eat. If the dont eat it all I pick it up after 20 minutes and include it in their next meal. Berlin was hit and miss if he would eat everything but by the time he hit 13-14 weeks he was inhaling his food down. He could easily eat double or triple the amount he should if I let him.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

~Emergency Vet Tech

Berlin vom Spartanville, BH, OB1 1/13/13
Zeke
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'07 - '15
Luther
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'08 - '12

"Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." - Max Von Stephanitz
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 02:48 PM

I don't ever free feed. My dog would not stop, she would eat until she exploded. Free feeding would increase vomiting in her case, not decrease it (it actually is never an issue unless it is an empty stomach)

Plus I like that my dog is on a schedule. I know when she last ate so I know if it has been long enough to where we can play and run without the risk of bloat. Also if my dog ever stops eating, or shows less interest in her food I know that there might be something wrong and that a vet visit might be needed. I would not know if there was an issue if I let her free feed.

Some people like free feeding, but honestly I don't really see a reason to do it, while there are several not to. JMHO

Jade BN CGC- 05/06/12

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
-Groucho Marx
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 05:01 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby142 View Post
I don't ever free feed. My dog would not stop, she would eat until she exploded.

Mine, also. One day she got into the food while I wasn't at home and did explode. It all came back up where it went in, fortunately. Since then the dog food back is stored in a safe place.

If you are free feeding, you also can't easily tell if your dog is eating properly. Good to know if she's ill.

"And why do we fall, Bruce? So we can learn to pick ourselves up."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page