Ideal for a pup? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Smile Ideal for a pup?

My pup was weaned onto Acana Large Puppy formula at his breeders and i continued him on this food when we bought him home but his stools are so inconsistent and never seem right, also he doesn't seem to really enjoy it.

Im wanting to take him off the Acana, and off kibble if possible as we feed our other dog a "butcher mix". Its basically all the meats that don't sell minced up a with some cooked veges etc thrown through it. He sells it in 5kg blocks. We feed our staffy on this and have done for a couple of years and he does great on it!

Am wondering if this would be ideal for our 15 week old pup to start on? I was looking into raw feeding him and i know this isn't quite the same but is pretty close in reality.

Any advice would be great, as to whether this food sounds ok or else how i can start him on an actual raw diet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 11:37 PM
Crowned Member

Since you are not pleased with the Acana, I would suggest you give the butcher's block a try but still mix in the Acana, then if the pup does well, gradually decrease the Acana and increase the butcher's block.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
Since you are not pleased with the Acana, I would suggest you give the butcher's block a try but still mix in the Acana, then if the pup does well, gradually decrease the Acana and increase the butcher's block.
Great thank you that's the plan... he only has a small amount of Acana left so i will mix it and decrease the amount until it's gone and see how we get on!
The Acana hasn't agreed with 3 pups (including mine) from this litter... 2 of the other pups on different foods have had not one issue!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 01:26 AM

Just a word of advice don't feed ur dog kibble and raw together for the fact kibble takes much longer to digest and will upset ur dogs tummy and also you need to make sure little to no organs in the mix when ur starting him off again this will upset him an cause the runs that's something you have to slowly add over time like my pup is 10 weeks and he gets 4 small meals a day each meal consist of 2 chicken necks and a few chicken hearts and or chicken meat with no bone just have to make sure you have at least an even match of bone and meat for normal bowels after awhile adding in other protein sources is recommended but again take baby steps i had to learn the hard way lol
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis222 View Post
Just a word of advice don't feed ur dog kibble and raw together for the fact kibble takes much longer to digest and will upset ur dogs tummy and also you need to make sure little to no organs in the mix when ur starting him off again this will upset him an cause the runs that's something you have to slowly add over time like my pup is 10 weeks and he gets 4 small meals a day each meal consist of 2 chicken necks and a few chicken hearts and or chicken meat with no bone just have to make sure you have at least an even match of bone and meat for normal bowels after awhile adding in other protein sources is recommended but again take baby steps i had to learn the hard way lol
Thanks for the advice. As far as i know there are no organs in the mix but i will double check. He already gets chicken necks at lunch time but will add in an extra form of bone per day also to match the actual meat intake Will gradually add in egg etc later on once he's doing ok on the meat
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 02:49 AM
Crowned Member

Are you feeding him the raw bones and organs too along with the raw meat?

Edit: Oh never mind. Just noticed your last post. You're really not feeding a balanced diet. You need those bones and organs mixed in there. Do some research on raw diets if you want to do one. This page belongs to another member here. I suggest you do some reading if this is the route you want to go.

http://www.rawdogranch.com/

Last edited by Lucy Dog; 04-27-2013 at 02:51 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 03:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
Are you feeding him the raw bones and organs too along with the raw meat?

Edit: Oh never mind. Just noticed your last post. You're really not feeding a balanced diet. You need those bones and organs mixed in there. Do some research on raw diets if you want to do one. This page belongs to another member here. I suggest you do some reading if this is the route you want to go.

Welcome to the Raw Dog Ranch
He's only been on Acana since we got him. Haven't had him on a meat diet yet but it is the path i want to take Will definitely have a read of that link you posted thanks
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 03:06 AM
Crowned Member

I meant for your other dog too. You mentioned that he's been on this diet for years.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 03:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
I meant for your other dog too. You mentioned that he's been on this diet for years.
Yes he has been on it for a couple of years now also with chicken necks, meaty bones from the butcher and we also buy livers or hearts when they pop up in the supermarket as he really enjoys them. Unfortunately they are quite hard to come by in the super markets and a lot of butchers have regulars who come in and clean them out of organs

PS thanks for that website link! Will be my evening reading! Very interesting
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 03:20 AM
Crowned Member

The heart actually doesn't count as "organ meat". That's actually just regular meat when doing a raw diet. Similar to just feeding ground chuck. The liver does count as organ meat though. This is the basic layout that you should be feeding every meal.

This is the basic formula for an ADULT dog (look here for information on feeding growing puppies):
45-50% Raw Meaty Bones (meat with edible bone – chicken or turkey necks, chicken backs, lamb neck bones, etc.)
45% Muscle Meat (meat without bones)
5% Organ Meat (liver, kidney, lungs, etc.)

http://www.rawdogranch.com/rawfeedin...aw/basics.html

Good luck with the reading. And the member here who's page this belongs to is "Lauri and the gang". She's kind of the go to person here for raw diets. Just a heads up.

Last edited by Lucy Dog; 04-27-2013 at 03:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page