Anyone else's pup unable to tolerate Blue Buffalo? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Question Anyone else's pup unable to tolerate Blue Buffalo?

Hi everyone,
Nietzsche is doing well...except in one area. When I got her, she was eating Iams and doing fine...very, very slowly switched her over to Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy...

If I feed her small amounts, her stools are fine, but if I feed her what she should be eating, she ends up with diarrhea. Been through this several times.

She does not have internal parasites, etc. She's growing, but too thin in my opinion...

Has anyone else had this problem with this specific food? I know Iams isn't the best...but at least she had consistent stools and wasn't looking so lean...thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 01:02 AM
Crowned Member

Absolutely I think all of us has had this problem at some time or another. Not just with Blue Buffalo. Some dogs just can't tolerate some foods. My first GSD couldn't eat anything Purina. That was before all the specialty dog foods. My current girl Tasha can't do the Diamond Naturals. It give her diarrhea every time. You just have to switch foods and find one that works for you. I've found that both my GSD's do well on Natures Recipe for sensitive stomachs. Unfortunately it has recently gone up about $10 a bag. Ugh so I'm looking for something else.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 01:12 AM
Crowned Member

Overfeeding does cause diarrhea. Why do you think she's too thin?
GSDs should be lean. Their joints are easily stressed by extra weight.
What quantity of BB causes diarrhea?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rolf, black German import ♥️ DOB 6-7-2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

She didn't do well on Nutro either...all of my other dogs do great on it (none are GSD's) but not her...argh! So frustrating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdmom View Post
Absolutely I think all of us has had this problem at some time or another. Not just with Blue Buffalo. Some dogs just can't tolerate some foods. My first GSD couldn't eat anything Purina. That was before all the specialty dog foods. My current girl Tasha can't do the Diamond Naturals. It give her diarrhea every time. You just have to switch foods and find one that works for you. I've found that both my GSD's do well on Natures Recipe for sensitive stomachs. Unfortunately it has recently gone up about $10 a bag. Ugh so I'm looking for something else.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
Overfeeding does cause diarrhea. Why do you think she's too thin?
GSDs should be lean. Their joints are easily stressed by extra weight.
What quantity of BB causes diarrhea?

She looks too thin to me...almost ribby...not quite, but almost...I know she should be lean...but not quite this lean. If she eats more than two cups a day TOTAL, she ends up with the runs...been through this several times now...even increasing by 1/4 cup each feeding....we go through 24 hours of this...every time. And HI Sunflowers! Been offline, had a family emergency and was gone nearly three weeks! DID get the xpen, LOVE IT!!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 01:25 AM
Crowned Member

Oh, I am so glad it's working for you! Love that expen. We would be in big trouble without it.
I hope everything is okay with your family now.

Why don't you post a couple of pictures of her, from the side and from above.
I'm sure people here will tell you she's too thin.

What I have heard about BB is that it is rich, and several dogs here have had a problem with it.
I am wondering if adding some green tripe to her food would help her tummy.

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
Oh, I am so glad it's working for you! Love that expen. We would be in big trouble without it.
I hope everything is okay with your family now.

Why don't you post a couple of pictures of her, from the side and from above.
I'm sure people here will tell you she's too thin.

What I have heard about BB is that it is rich, and several dogs here have had a problem with it.
I am wondering if adding some green tripe to her food would help her tummy.
I will take some new pix when I can get her to stay still long enough! She did great on her first road trip with me...my 99 year old Nana got pneumonia...needless to say I threw some clothes, Nietzsche's stuff in the car and we were gone! She made it, I dunno how, bless her 99 year old heart! I DO love that xpen!! Really good price!

BTW What is Hans eating? Same breeder, much in common with bloodlines...I'm also going to contact Narnia and see what they feed...
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 02:38 AM

Sylar has been eating Blue Buffalo Wilderness since 8.5 weeks. At 12 weeks we were feeding him 1 cup x 3 times a day for a total of 3 cups. His stool is firm however, when we first went to 3 cups his stool occasionally finished watery.

Sylar is now 17 and 1/2 weeks and weighs 46 lbs. We still only feed him a total of 3 cups a day. He is very active. I think the cal count for BB is on the higher side if I remember. Several threads on this forum list the first four ingredients and cal count of major dog foods in a spreadsheet.

I had a Fox Terrier that had bad food allergies. One of the only types of food we could feed her was fish and potatoes.

Sylar - GSD - DOB: 12/18/2012

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 08:49 AM
Crowned Member

Narnia feeds Fromm Gold adult.
That is what he came home with.
Hans is raw fed. Very, very sensitive stomach.
I had lots of problems with that, until I found something that works for him.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 12:54 PM
Master Member

Send a message via MSN to CelticGlory
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdmom View Post
You know the reps come into Petsmart a lot to promote the food right? They always have coupons they give people and if you have a Petsmart PetPerks card you pay less as well. I have a PetPerks, I had it when I had my fish. My sister is getting a puppy and I'm buying the food; I plan on going with another food that Petsmart doesn't carry. I think you can also email the company and ask if they have any coupons they can send you. So you can get up to $5 off of a bag of food.

# "Breed not a savage dog, nor permit a loose stairway." - Talmud
# "In my day, we didn't have dogs or cats. All I had was Silver Beauty, my beloved paper clip." - Jennifer Hart, Arlington

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page