So many feeding threads, not enough time..lol - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

So many feeding threads, not enough time..lol

I've read countless threads on feeding my 8 week puppy. A lot of good advice but it's hard to take some in because we own two large dogs (bernese mountain dogs) and prior we owned a dalmatian and we did things different. This is my first GSD and I am not sure if the feeding is different. There is a lot on raw feeding and I am not interested in that. I am on my third day with her and she is still eating the food the breeder gave me which is Pedigree, I know I am going to change it today which is why I need help. She also gave me one can of Ol' Roy wet puppy food.

With our dogs, we have always just left the bowl down all day and let them eat what they want. We have never had a weight problem. When they were puppies my mom did monitor the puppy feeding because our adult dog would eat if we left it out.

As of right now, I am feeding Dakota about 1/2 a cup of dry food 4 times a day. Our day starts at 6 a.m. I mix in just two small spoonfulls of wet food twice a day. She actually leaves some of that in the bowl and is really interested in the hard kibble. Sometimes she doesn't finish all of her food but will go back and fourth until it's gone grabbing one kibble at a time. So she isn't stuffing her face, she seems to know when to stop. I am only giving her treats when she goes potty at the right place and sits.

My parents always fed our dogs Purina puppy food when puppies and then switched to Purina Adult food. Since our dogs are large and it seems to work just fine for them, I plan to do the same for my GSD. Unless someone can give me another option that isn't going to cause me to go broke! Should I wean her off the wet food? Or buy a better brand and mix it in for the next two weeks and then stop?

I know this is getting long..but we also always fed our dogs rawhide bones (really helps with teething). The worst that ever came with it is a little gas sometimes. I want to buy Dakota some puppy safe bones that will keep her occupied. Along with things like the hooves. Is this going to do serious damage? Like I said we never had problems with our other breeds and feeding them these things.

Thank you everyone! I am sort of being a paranoid new mom. I want to make sure I do everything right while the time is crucial!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	375772_10151337987037260_1848259129_n.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	60290  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 11:48 AM
Crowned Member

I know how you feel - information overload. I got the impression from what you said, that you want to go with Purinea. If you do so, I suggest you go with the Purinea One Large Breed puppy chow as that is a better quality of Purinea. Switch slowly - over 3 weeks gradually increasing the amount of new to old so the pup doesn't get tummy troubles. For the mixture of wet and dry, again do that slowly if you want to switch to all dry. I would also stay with your scheduled meal times because it will make the housetraining easier - what goes in on schedule comes out on schedule. For the chew items, they need to be big enough so the puppy can't swallow them and choke.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
I know how you feel - information overload. I got the impression from what you said, that you want to go with Purinea. If you do so, I suggest you go with the Purinea One Large Breed puppy chow as that is a better quality of Purinea. Switch slowly - over 3 weeks gradually increasing the amount of new to old so the pup doesn't get tummy troubles. For the mixture of wet and dry, again do that slowly if you want to switch to all dry. I would also stay with your scheduled meal times because it will make the housetraining easier - what goes in on schedule comes out on schedule. For the chew items, they need to be big enough so the puppy can't swallow them and choke.
Definitely information overload I should have mentioned that I would be using the Purina Pro Plan which they have for large breed puppy and adult as that is what my parents did for our large breeds..unless One is significantly better? I never had to purchase or look into our dogs food because my parents did it and this is my first dog that is mine so when I go to the store today I will make sure the bones I buy are big enough. Thanks!

Last edited by wrscpc07; 04-20-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 12:03 PM
Crowned Member

I did have my Sting on Purinea One Large Breed puppy chow because his breeder used that. I did look up the Pro Plan, and since there is a large breed puppy chow, I would think you could go with that. Both are better than the regular Purinea.

Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
I did have my Sting on Purinea One Large Breed puppy chow because his breeder used that. I did look up the Pro Plan, and since there is a large breed puppy chow, I would think you could go with that. Both are better than the regular Purinea.
Thank you! I think that is what I will do. I like how they have the Pro plan for large breed puppy and adult so I can keep the same brand consistent. They also have wet large breed puppy food that I will continue to mix for a little longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page