Sensitive tummy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

Sensitive tummy?

Hi guys,

looking for some advice regarding feeding my 13 week old pup.
He has been on the same food since he was weaned which is the Acana Large Breed Puppy but his stools have never been 100% what i would be "happy with" if that's the right way to speak about poop!

It is always quite runny, no foul smell or colour though, just not the correct consistency. So i am not sure if the food isn't agreeing with him?

Can anyone offer some advice for food they have had success with when feeding pups? Bear in mind i am in NZ so any advice from NZ GSD owners would be wonderful!

I have been suggested to try a raw diet rather then the dry biscuits?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 02:16 AM

I had the same issue. First thing I did was eliminate all foods but kibble. I used his kibble as his training treats too. Then I knocked his kibble feeding down by 2 tablespoons per meal. That stopped the runs. After two days, I added in a tablespoon of pumpkin with each meal but did not add back the 2 tablespoons of kibble. From that point in, he had firm stools. He's almost 6 months now and I'm still careful about what treats he has. Some will cause runs so I don't repeat them. The real issue all along for me was over feeding.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindyUVA View Post
I had the same issue. First thing I did was eliminate all foods but kibble. I used his kibble as his training treats too. Then I knocked his kibble feeding down by 2 tablespoons per meal. That stopped the runs. After two days, I added in a tablespoon of pumpkin with each meal but did not add back the 2 tablespoons of kibble. From that point in, he had firm stools. He's almost 6 months now and I'm still careful about what treats he has. Some will cause runs so I don't repeat them. The real issue all along for me was over feeding.

Thanks for that I have eliminated all treats he was getting and he still has runny poos so i will cut back his food rations morning and night and see how we get on as im possibly over feeding also (i fear not feeding him enough!)! Im boiling up some pumpkin now as we speak as numerous people have sworn by it so i figured its worth a shot with him! He also gets a tablespoon of plain probiotic yoghurt every morning also (that was suggested by the vet).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 09:43 AM

I would cut out the yogurt for now. Met a GSD puppy two weeks ago with an allergy to yogurt. Could be part of it? I know how you feel though!! Everytime he had to "go" I would just sigh! Lol

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 10:25 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

The yogurt is so so concerning the good bacteria a product which has e faecium in it may help. A lot of beneficial bacteria for horse are the same product. I give pro-bios here. Digestive enzymes may help. Soaking the food may help. Maybe some of that Olewo would help.

Personally, I never had any success with the Acana (same issue though the dog has had no allergy problems AT ALL with anything) though it is a food many swear by.

May consider if something else is good. What foods are available to you?
LOL, both the lamb and the venison for my food are imported from New Zealand.....If that stuff is available over there I would consider making my own food!

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page