Is high protein & grain free really the way to go? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Is high protein & grain free really the way to go?

Ive been wanting to swap my soon to be 5 month old gsd food and I've read high protein and grain free diets were the way to go (other than raw) I researched and come across Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy grain free and on Dog Food Advisor it's rated a 5 star food. I wanted to know some thoughts on it, as far as if it would be a good choice or if the high protein and grain free diet is not the way for my gsd puppy? I just want whats best for my boy and his development but I also don't want to over pay if is not necessary.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 04:32 PM

Tough to knock a food on their 5 star list.

What are you feeding him now?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 04:43 PM
Crowned Member

I'm kinda playing with my dogs food and I find that higher protein is working better for them.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 05:14 PM

Its great food but not for everyone. I had my puppy on it for the first two months I had him with nothing but loose stools. I got frustrated and switched to Wellness LBP (a non-grain free food), which seems to be a good match for us. Both Wellness and BB have a 100% satisfaction guarantee, so if you're not happy with the food you can return it.

From BB's website: There is a 100% satisfaction guarantee that comes with any purchase of a Blue Buffalo product. If for some reason you are not satisfied, you can return the unused portion with your receipt to get a full refund.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 05:37 PM
Master Member

Grain-free and/or high protein are ways to go (I say and/or because there are grain inclusive foods that are quite high in protein, and there are some grain-free foods that are quite low in protein), though I don't think they are 'the' way to go. Some dogs, especially puppies, don't do well on a high protein food (some don't do well on grain-free for that matter). My girl has been on a high protein, grain-free food most of her life and has done great, but there are others though that, for whatever reason, haven't had the same experience.

I am, personally, not a fan of Blue Buffalo. Their foods, by ingredients alone, seem to be quite good, but I don't care for, or trust, the company. If your dog does well on it though then it is a good food for you and your pup.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 06:25 PM

One of my dogs does great on BB wilderness but the other didn't do so well (soft stool) . I moved to Wysong op performance, cheeper and they like it better.

Haus of rocks Akeemi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ando Ethen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 07:01 PM

Also, Honest Kitchen is a wonderful pet food. I feed it also but not exclusively due to the cost.

Haus of rocks Akeemi

Ando Ethen

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone that responed. Right now I'm feeding him 2x a day 3 cups of Eukanuba large breed puppy, that's what he was on when I got him and I just left him on it. He does good on it, as far as regularity and gobbling it down, his stool is always formed, but a couple times it's been to hard. (Thanks to this gsd forum tho I've become aware of what to look for in ingredients and want to upgrade him to something more benifitial for his health) I've done more comparisons and I'm second guessing the wilderness puppy since it doesnt specify if its got the healthy levels of calcium and phosphorus suposedly needed for large breed puppys? Like suggested I'm just going to have to do trial and error. Pick one and if it doesn't agree with him on to the next one... I am thinking way to much into picking a dog food lol.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 09:49 PM

I give my puppies "taste of the wild". They love it. There coats are soft and silky and the don't shed to much..beautiful white teeth.
Tried others but nothing was this good.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 10:04 PM
Master Member

The calcium and phosphorus levels of the Blue Wilderness Puppy formula are on my spreadsheet ... It's in a sticky post here. Can't remember off the top of my head what they are, but I believe they are reasonably low.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page