puppy not eating much - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

puppy not eating much

so my new pup came home last saturday and ever since I have had her she is barely eating anything. Yesterday at the vet she weighed 11.6 lbs at 9.5 weeks. The vet told me she should be closer to 15 lbs. Problem is she just is not interested in food. She is being transitioned off eukanuba LBP to Fromm LBP. I picked up a can of Wellness puppy and a can of organic pumpkin and she sort of likes that but will still only take a few bites then wander off. The most I have been able to get her to eat is 2.5 cups a day and that was with lots of coaxing by using her kibble as training rewards for sitting and laying down. She is very active and playful, loves her toys, loves walks, just has no interest in food. The vet gave her a clean bill of health and she was last dewormed saturday when I picked her up and two times before that. she seems to like the fromm better than the eukanuba which is kind of big and hard for her to chew. still though today it took her several hours to eat just a cup with pumpkin and canned food mixed in. Her stools are kind of soft but are generally good in the morning, I had attributed this to her switching foods and being in a new environment.....any tips or suggestions?

i realize i am probably over thinking this and I am in the process of getting a stool test done to rule out giardia ect.

Last edited by skier16; 04-10-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

pic for reference
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 09:40 PM

I'm sure she is just getting used to everyone and everything which can effect eating habits. My little guy only ate 2 cups a day total for about an half of a week after he came home, but the next day he started to chow down.
Just keep up the regular feedings and maybe only give her half a cup until she starts eating it all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

just had diarrhea hopefully the stoll test tomorrow will give me some insight.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 10:47 PM

let your pup adjust to its new home..some get a bit stressed being
switched to a diffrent home..kind of normal!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 10:55 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier16 View Post
so my new pup came home last saturday and ever since I have had her she is barely eating anything. Yesterday at the vet she weighed 11.6 lbs at 9.5 weeks. The vet told me she should be closer to 15 lbs.
Your vet is wrong.
She should not weigh 15 lbs, many GSDs weigh less at 9 weeks.

She should be eating 3/4 cup 4 times a day. If the food is too big and hard, you can soften it with water before you give it to her.
More than 1 teaspoon of pumpkin is too much.
Let her eat what she wants, and pick it up after 15 minutes.
Good luck, she is very cute.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 11:39 PM

A little water and microwave it so its warm (not hot) always helped always with my GSD pups picky eating.
It's not all that unusual for GSDs to be picky eaters
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 10:03 AM
Knighted Member

skier16, Congrats on getting your girl! What did you name her? Don't worry about her weight, she will be fine. As long as she is not having any health issues it will all balance out.

When Bear was that age he was on the thinner side as well, even now at 18 months he is a lean 74 lbs. Wait for the stool sample to come back but don't sweat it, it will be fine.

I hope you and her survived the blizzard

Bear GSD 10/16/11
Elsa GSD 12/23/03 - 11/10/11
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

I named her Ava. Today she only ate 1 cup of food. It was her first day at the office so maybe she is just stressed. I hope she starts eating soon she is so skinny
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

so she has coccidia and is on albon. I weighed her at the vet and she has lost half a pound since monday. hopefully this clears things up and she gets a appetite.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page