Taste of The WILD Food - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Taste of The WILD Food

So who here is feeding their GSP Taste of The Wild. I was told that it is better than a lot of the other popular brands and it is better for them. I am currently giving my pup Nutro brand and am thinking of changing when the current bag is done.

What are your thoughts on it?

Raider Vom Geisterholz AKC GSD 2/26/2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 12:58 PM
Knighted Member

I was feeding my dogs TOTW dog food and they did very well on it. My shih tzu's coat was always shiny and very smooth. I recently switched to costco s Nature's Domain, because of the cost. They are both made by the same company. Please note though, that the company that makes them have had a few recalls.
Here is a site that you may be interested in.
Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor

Also if you are switching dog food brands you should make the switch slowly by mixing the current brand with the new brand. You probably want to start with the majority of the old brand and gradually raise the percentage of the newer brand until completely switched over.

Last edited by Msmaria; 04-08-2013 at 01:03 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 01:23 PM
Elite Member

I'm also curious. Been feeding my dog Acana all his life and would love to switch to TOTW for cost BUT worried about Diamond and their food processing practices (see also recalls)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 06:00 PM
Knighted Member

I always have an extra bag on back up . Just incase there is a recall, I havent started using that bag yet. That is assuming it doesnt take more than a month for them to recall it. I check the recall site also like you do.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 08:08 PM
Crowned Member

I switched from Nature's Variety to TOTW and Stosh has done very well on it. He's not a very big eater and it's pretty much the only food he'll consistently eat. I tried Orijen but it was too rich for him. He's got a beautiful coat, very regular and picture perfect poops. Since he's not an enthusiastic eater I'm glad he's getting what his body needs with this food. He's currently eating about 3 cups a day which isn't that much for a working dog but he's maintaining a healthy weight. I do change varieties so he gets a balanced diet. He doesn't do too well on chicken so it's nice to have the choice of red meats and fish
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Elite Member

I feed TOTW and my dogs do very well on it. They all enjoy the taste, and have beautiful coats. I switch between High Prairie and Wetlands formula.

I was a bit concerned about the Diamond recalls, but I really like the ingredients, the fat/protein ratio, my dogs do well on it, and the price is right.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 08:32 PM

It's been a few years since I tried but when Niko was on it his coat got really dry.

APRIL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NIKO-9-12-02
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
12-17-13

GUNNER-11-07-13
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 09:01 PM

I have had Ava on TOTW ever since about a month after we brought her home. (She came to us on Science Diet, and she had loose stools plus awful itching.) She has been in wonderful condition ever since, with a gorgeous coat and great stools! I highly recommend it. She is currently on the High Prairie formula, but she has also been on the Pacific Stream in the past.

Ava Marie (4/3/2012)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 09:22 PM
Crowned Member

Jonas has been on TOTW since 6 weeks old. He does very well on it.

"A House Is Not A Home Without A German Shepherd"
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 09:40 PM

I've got Fritz on TOTW puppy food since shortly after I got him. He likes it and seems to be doing quite well on it. He put on 10 pounds in the first three weeks I had him, and part of that was a transition period both with coming home with me and with switching foods. Got our next vet visit this Friday, but he's grown quite a bit and his coat looks great!

I do supplement it with raw egg, hard boiled egg, cottage cheese, fish oil, and olive oil once in a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page