Soooo torn on food. Advice? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Soooo torn on food. Advice?

So my soon to be wife and I are getting a puppy the end of May. We have done lots and lots of research on foods and we are torn. We want to do best for our little guy.

We heavily researched Raw and we both loved the idea but we just came to the realization that we don't have the time for it. I'd love to do it but New house, getting married in June and getting a puppy our time is going to be thin enough!

So, I think I have narrowed the foods down to: Orijin, Acana and Fromm. Love all three but am torn on which one...

I love how great Orijin would be for our dog, but the price! We are in Canada and it would be $80 a bag plus tax so about $90...

Acana - I like that we have different choices for flavour. Mix up the proteins however, I don't like that the Large Breed Puppy has Oats. I know this will mean more pick-up.

Fromm - love it Thus far from my research, the only store that sells it, doesn't love it. She says she doesn't like the amount of "filler" it has. NOT my opinion just going on what she said. The other thing that worries me about Fromm is that we can only find ONE store that sells it. What if they decide to stop carrying it?

I know no one can say to me X is 100% the best and I know it will depend on our little guy which one he likes and takes best but I am just looking for some advice.

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

And just for fun:

post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 12:51 PM
Elite Member

My personal opinion is that I prefer Orijin or Acana my last shepherd loved the Acana and I loved the ingredients... althought I cant get it here in Nova Scotia where I am so my dog is on GO!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Penny - GSD - 11/11/2012
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel - GSD - 03/15/2010 - 11/05/2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 01:30 PM
Crowned Member

Hi from Ottawa

I feed Fromm, there are only two stores that carry it near me: Bark & Fitz and Global Pet Foods. I use Global Pet Foods as they're a few dollars cheaper and easier to get to, for a large bag of Fromm four star grain free it's $90.99 now, they just upped their prices a few weeks ago. The LBP which Delgado was on until just after he hit one was $68.99

As for the sales lady, I'm glad you're doing your own research. I've found store clerks in pet stores are so hit and miss in their actual knowledge

If the store does fail to carry it, try online vendors. Most will give you free shipping over a certain amount and it will save you gas money and time having it brought to their dog.

Also Fromm does offer a "buy 12 bags, get one bag free" customer card

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 01:32 PM
Master Member

I don't think there's a huge problem with oats in a puppy food. I wouldn't keep my dogs on puppy food very long anyway! But then I'm one of those raw-food people who starts puppies off on raw right away.

--Regina and the GSDs:
UCDX von Sontausen Holy Grail (The BUNNY!) HGH, UD,RA,BN,GN, ASCA UD RAX High in Trial
PAM Monster Mike SchH2,UDX,OM1,TD,RE,VER
PAM FGDCh Ianna von Sontausen UDX,BH,TD,RE,PT (4.26.1998 - 2.11.2013)
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 01:40 PM

It is a good thing that you are doing review right now about your future puppy food.
Do you know on which type of food is your puppy being weaned off right now?

Orijen and Acana are both good dry dog food choices.
Most of the dogs are doing great on these foods, however some tend not to agree well with the high protein content.
I guess, best you can do is to try one or the other with your new puppy and see how it goes. Your proof will be in the stool.
Slow transition from the current dry food to the new Orijen or Acana is the key here.
If you decide to go with Orijen or Acana my suggestion would be to go for one of the following:
Acana: Wild Prairie or Pacifica.
Orijen: 6 Fish or Regional Red (little over priced in my opinion)

I would not go for Large Breed Puppy type food from either line because I see no point in that as I think that above stated types are suited for all life stages and all breeds.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandiah89 View Post
My personal opinion is that I prefer Orijin or Acana my last shepherd loved the Acana and I loved the ingredients... althought I cant get it here in Nova Scotia where I am so my dog is on GO!
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
Hi from Ottawa

I feed Fromm, there are only two stores that carry it near me: Bark & Fitz and Global Pet Foods. I use Global Pet Foods as they're a few dollars cheaper and easier to get to, for a large bag of Fromm four star grain free it's $90.99 now, they just upped their prices a few weeks ago. The LBP which Delgado was on until just after he hit one was $68.99

As for the sales lady, I'm glad you're doing your own research. I've found store clerks in pet stores are so hit and miss in their actual knowledge

If the store does fail to carry it, try online vendors. Most will give you free shipping over a certain amount and it will save you gas money and time having it brought to their dog.

Also Fromm does offer a "buy 12 bags, get one bag free" customer card
Thanks! Orijin and Acana (I know, same company) also have a buy 12 get the 13th free. I guess my issue with Fromm four star (Does anyone else thing that four start is a stupid name? Sounds like something is wrong with it!! haha what's it missing to make it five star??) Is that the price would be that same as Orijin. Fromm gold would be cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunRingill View Post
I don't think there's a huge problem with oats in a puppy food. I wouldn't keep my dogs on puppy food very long anyway! But then I'm one of those raw-food people who starts puppies off on raw right away.
How long would you leave them on puppy food?

I love the idea of raw, I really really do however, I just don't think we can keep up with the work and pre-made Raw will make us go bankrupt haha
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vukc View Post
It is a good thing that you are doing review right now about your future puppy food.
Do you know on which type of food is your puppy being weaned off right now?

Orijen and Acana are both good dry dog food choices.
Most of the dogs are doing great on these foods, however some tend not to agree well with the high protein content.
I guess, best you can do is to try one or the other with your new puppy and see how it goes. Your proof will be in the stool.
Slow transition from the current dry food to the new Orijen or Acana is the key here.
If you decide to go with Orijen or Acana my suggestion would be to go for one of the following:
Acana: Wild Prairie or Pacifica.
Orijen: 6 Fish or Regional Red (little over priced in my opinion)

I would not go for Large Breed Puppy type food from either line because I see no point in that as I think that above stated types are suited for all life stages and all breeds.
He will be coming from Royal Canin German Shepherd Puppy which I don't want to keep him on.

No puppy food, that is something I will look into.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 01:46 PM
Crowned Member

Yes you're correct, Fromm Gold is cheaper and still a very good quality food. My poodle is a very picky eater and so I switched her to the four star line because of the variety. When Delgado was old enough then I switched him to the same so they both eat the same kibble

If I had to choose between Orijin and Acana, I would choose Orijin personally just because I do really like the ingredients. Both my dogs do really well on Fromm so I have no reason to switch but if I did have to I would switch to Orijin

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 01:47 PM
Knighted Member

I think all three are great foods. Orijin I couldn't afford but did try it for a month and my dog did fine. I liked the price of Acana but unfortunately she was allergic to something in it. Fromm is what we settled on and she does great on it.

Jazz, Shiloh Shepherd, 5 yrs old, CGC HIC
Bunny, GSD X, 7.5 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page