The ideal food for a pup? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 05:19 AM Thread Starter

The ideal food for a pup?

Ive been reading and reading and watching videos and without me sounding like a kid with 50 questions. I have read and watched videos saying that the more pricey dogfood is better in the long run because the pups will poop less because of less "by products" in the better pricey foods over the cheep stuff or in my current case... Pedigree Bennafull. We want the best for our 7 month old puppy. He already has the cards stacked against him as I paid $300 to a backyard breeder. (I know but summer is coming, had to save the little guy) So what should he eat and what makes one food better then the other?

Ive even read about a RAW human food diet. Tonight is his first night away from his litter and mommy, and he is in a large 4' long crate for his first time. poor guy. I know he should be in a smaller one. But our neighbor let us use it till "Buddy" is trained.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 06:20 AM
Banned

i always use the preminum brands. you may have to
switch brands several times before you find one that
works for your dog and one that he likes. you can
always add some fresh meat, chicken, fish, certain fruit
and a variety of other things to his kibble or can.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 08:17 AM
Knighted Member

Your puppy may not housebreak too well if his crate is too large. You might try blocking the back part off to make a smaller area up front for his sleep area, using either a box or ..something else.

I would use the best food that you can afford, whether kibble or raw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festaes View Post
Ive been reading and reading and watching videos and without me sounding like a kid with 50 questions. I have read and watched videos saying that the more pricey dogfood is better in the long run because the pups will poop less because of less "by products" in the better pricey foods over the cheep stuff or in my current case... Pedigree Bennafull. We want the best for our 7 month old puppy. He already has the cards stacked against him as I paid $300 to a backyard breeder. (I know but summer is coming, had to save the little guy) So what should he eat and what makes one food better then the other?

Ive even read about a RAW human food diet. Tonight is his first night away from his litter and mommy, and he is in a large 4' long crate for his first time. poor guy. I know he should be in a smaller one. But our neighbor let us use it till "Buddy" is trained.
Festaes,

As far as the food goes, I can't offer any solid advice, as I have found I have a lot to learn here.

But I do know what I am talking about with the below.

I have had fantastic luck with backyard breeders. I know everything you
read sways you against this, but there are exceptions to every rule.

All six of my German Shepherds have been completely house broke by about 10
weeks or so. You never let them out of your sight and you take them out every 15 minutes or so.

If while in the house you see them noseing around like they are going to go, grab them up and run for the door. All of ours have sleep in the bed with us the first night home and from there out, this keeps them quite and we all get a little sleep for a little while.

You need to get up and take them out ever so often or when they are doing anything other than sleeping or just laying there. Make sure they are on top of the covers, this way if there is a little accident it's no big deal.

There will be nights when you may need to crate them and or tie them off
"short" to a leg of the bed.

The worst accidents we have had would compare to an eye dropper of tinkle.

Good Luck.
Deno
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page