Diarrhea? Colitis? Runny stool? Normal? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 11:55 AM
Crowned Member

Sometimes puppies with negative fecal tests have false negatives -- giardia is very hard to spot on a fecal float (there's a special test for it, but many vets don't stock it).

We just had a 14 week old pup in foster care with persistently returning "pudding poop" that got better, then cycled back. The fecal float was negative, but the vet suspected giardia or something weird requiring a special lab test to diagnose. Before spending $150 on an IDEXX lab test for a huge range of different bugs, I asked to treat as though it were giardia: we did a full week of Panacur. That fixed it!

Panacur isn't expensive. It's got a broad safety profile. I would ask the vet about trying it -- I wouldn't do less than 5 days of it, and I really think 7 days makes a difference (that's longer than typically prescribed).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 12:23 PM
Crowned Member

Hi !
I saw in another thread that you feed BB Large Breed Puppy Non Grain.
These items could be the culprits!

Ingredients: Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Tapioca Starch, Peas, Turkey Meal, Pea Protein, Tomato Pomace, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Dried Egg, Flaxseed , Natural Flavor, Potatoes, Fish Oil WHAT Fish??? This could be anything AND could possibly contain Etoxyquin as a preservative! Their site does not say the fish is preserved "naturally" with tocopherols (vitamin E), citric acid (vitamin C), or rosemary extract.
ALL ingredients should be named if it is a quality food.

Hope this helps and your pups stool gets more consistant!
Moms
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 08:53 PM

Hi, What is the ready to eat food you are feeding? And why are you adding an egg? Are you noticing the lose stool when you give the egg and not otherwise? A 9 week old pup has a very sensitive stomach. I have a 16 week old, and when I brought her home, the first week she had lose stools too. How long have you had the puppy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 10:58 AM

My pup is 6 months old and he developed some kind of reaction to his food (Orijen puppy large) and hence had the runs for a month on and off. Every test came back negative (which is a good thing) but made it hard for us to realize that it was Orijen. He is now on K9 Natural and Primal raw and his poop is perfect so far
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page