Pup doesn't want to eat (picky eater?) - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 03:47 PM

My german shepard is 1 next month and has reduced himself to one meal a day which the vet has said is fine, he used to always eat all his main meal in the evening but the last few weeks he has only been eating his food every other night, he is showing no signs of being ill .but I get worried when he does not eat. Any ideas? He has no tit buts during the day and only one or two small biscuit treats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 08:21 PM

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone posting here. My Baron has been slowing ignoring his food. On and off since 14 months old. He's 18 months now.
My girlfriend keeps telling me to leave it, "He won't starve himself."
I am of the opinion that he should enjoy his meals. So I started alternating between some sardines, some wet food, etc.
He is now loving his meals again. Makes me happy.

Thanks all.
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-14-2014, 08:51 AM
Crowned Member

Hello, realize this is an old thread, but I too have a picky eater. He is just 3 minths old, and it takes a day to get him to eat his kibble, he is on RCanin LBP Maxx, 2 cups per day. I have tried sprinkling parmesan cheese, crushed up Charlie Bears on top, he eats maybe 20 pieces... It seems there are left-overs every night. I honestly didn't want him on people food, so is there anything else I can do? Tjanks

PS, seems he will eat from hy hand, the floor...changed his bowl to stainless from plastic...

"There is a lot to be thankful for if you take the time to look. Example.. I am sitting here thinking how nice it is that wrinkles don't hurt!". Author Unknown

Enjoy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 04:08 PM

Debanneball,

Mine is doing the same thing. She was super stubborn with kibble, we just made the switch to RAW and she inhaled it. Then today back to being stubborn.

We're also working on separation anxiety so it may be that she was in her pen and not free to run around but so far she's skipped every meal but will eat turkey from my hand..
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 10:35 AM

11 week old won't eat by herself!

Here's a weird one....

I recently rescued a GSD puppy who is now 11 weeks old. The first few weeks she was eating just fine now suddenly won't eat kibble when we are home.

I've been a Nanny for an Aussie Cattle Dog for two years, he's fully vetted so he plays with my pup during the day while his owner is at work. She will ONLY eat her kibble when he's around...top it off...from what his owner said he hasn't been eating breakfast either!

What do I do to get her to eat away from her buddy?!
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 12:11 PM

My 3.5 month old has recently become picky. I've been feeding her blue buffalo wilderness puppy kibble, mixed with BB wet puppy food, pumpkin, and cottage cheese. Initially she scoffed it down and got so excited when she heard me mixing up her bowl. She had to be put on flagyl for 10 days and panacur for 5. It may be a coincidence but she lost interest once i had to mix in the panacur. So she'd eat very little and I'd put it away for the next meal. She'd eventually eat it (wanted to make sure she was getting the full dose).

She's been off meds for several days and is still disinterested. She has tons of energy, loves treats, and seems fine otherwise so I think she's just become picky. I eliminated the pumpkin and cottage cheese because she actually prefers the dry food. I even stopped adding the canned wet food because she isn't interested in that either. I swear, all of my GSDS have been picky but I've never had one who didn't love canned food!

I have this powdered peanut butter that I use in my protein shakes. I started sprinkling that on top of the kibble and she seems to like that. So she will eat another 1/4-1/3rd and then she's done. I added a little water and sprinkled a little more powdered peanut butter (it doesn't add many calories or fat), and mixed in a few pieces of cheese and she ate most of her food. Hopefully this continues! I don't mind adding mix ins and she seems to like the powdered peanut butter...I was just getting tired of mixing stuff in only to waste it. I'll see how she does with her next meal, maybe she's just not a big breakfast eater?

Wonder if she'd like some scrambled eggs in the morning? Ahh, the things we do for our dogs! I swear my dogs eat better than I do
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 03:20 PM

I have ongoing issues with this as well with my 6 month old Freya... It got to the point that she would throw up every morning (due to empty stomach and bile building up) because she would prefer going out for a walk, or play rather than eat.

New strategy - I use about a tablespoon of canned tripe or pureed salmon and mix it into half of her kibble in the morning. She can't resist and she *generally* finishes the rest of her kibble after our walk.

No more puking, and at least she's eating more regularly now...
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 10:00 AM

5 month old inconsistent eater

Ive been reading about everybody else's picky eater. And my girl is very inconsistent when it comes to eating. She has been on the 4Health puppy formula now for about 2 months now. When we first starting giving it to her, she was eating 3x a day and loving it. Would finish it off at every meal. The last few weeks though she has become picky and either will not eat her kibble in the morning or graze on it. So i went to 2X a day.

With my wife leaving about an hour after she is given the food, it becomes an issue because then she doesn't eat until her evening meal. At first I started mixing the dry with a little water, once that stopped working, I went to mixing the dry with a little of the wet can of 4health which seemed to work but gets too expensive (and honestly I don't want her to get used to wet so I can continue using dry), then I went to drizzling a little bit of beef broth to the dry which was working for a while then seemed to stop working (Like this morning). Her energy level seems somewhat low but I guess if youre not getting calories, then I guess you would be low energy.

Anybody have any tips or have this issue. I might have to go back to the wet food. Her poops seem fine so it doesn't seem like she is sick and not wanting to eat.
bgarrison27 likes this.
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 09:22 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to MAX Chan
Max is just 2 months old and not eating much on Nutram Sound Turkey, sometimes he just does not eat. I mixed with half boiled egg and he just ate the egg. Recently I changed to Nutram Sound Puppy and still the same. But he is very active and playful. Can anyone help. Thank you
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 09:45 PM

Is it OK to mix liver spread to your puppy's dog food?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page