Pup doesn't want to eat (picky eater?) - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 09:01 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 01:19 PM

I am having the same exact issue with Donner, our 12 week old GSD. He LOVES his soft and chewy treats; but I've been feeding Blue Buffalo Wilderness for Puppies and he really doesn't eat it until he has to. We started adding a little bit from a can of Nutra lamb or beef puppy formula and it is only marginally better. After reading this, gonna try some good ole cheap alpo for an additive to see if that's better. Cat food is ok for a puppy? Thanks, John
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 04:22 PM

I started mixing in some chopped up (cooked) chicken, and also a little water into her dry kibble, and my puppy is eating better. She is underweight so I felt like I HAD to do something! I think she is starting to teethe so the water helps with the dry kibble.

Mom to 2 teens (one autistic),
2 cats Pepper and Katie , one GSD dog Shadow..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhowell7 View Post
I started mixing in some chopped up (cooked) chicken, and also a little water into her dry kibble, and my puppy is eating better. She is underweight so I felt like I HAD to do something! I think she is starting to teethe so the water helps with the dry kibble.
Yea i know how you feel about having to do something. I have a picky eater as well and he has been picky since i got him. I recently told myself that he wouldn't starve to death and that he'd eat but i felt like he was starting to prove me wrong after he only ate 1 cup of kibble in 2 days.. i know im awful... but i gave in and gave him eggs, cooked chicken or beef broth in his next several feeds.. sigh lol
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Kona has finally started eating her kibble on a semi-regular basis without any additives. Most days she eats the full recommended daily amount. Love progress.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona - Born 4/1/2011**
S.T.A.R Puppy 8/7/2011
CGC on 2/28/2012

Jäger - Born 1/11/2012
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 08:31 AM

thank you for this post! If one more person asks me if he's a rescue because he is so skinny I may go postal!! Rocky is 7 mo and 60 lbs which is just 2 lbs off but his ribs show. Healthey otherwise. Vet calls him a gangly boy lol. I went to Natural balance which is rated at 4 star and started added a small amt of wet w/water to make a gravy. I feed him in his crate but right now he is crying wanting out to PLAY!!!!! Thats more fun.

~Jennifer~

My Zoo
Jake-(GSD/Chow)born 1997
Zoey-(long haired chihuahua) born 2009
Rocky-( GSD) born 2-2011
Spook- resident cat with an attitude
Speedy-other resident cat clown
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 04:29 AM

I'm reading all these posts with interest because am getting worried about our 13 week old Kobe. He was eating really well until recently and then suddenly went off his kibble; I added some tuna in and he loved it for about a week and today he hasn't touched any food at all. It has been fairly hot here recently (90-100 degrees every day) which may not be helping but I just don't know what to try next as I want to make sure he is getting all the nutrients he needs. Any advice please!!!
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul,Tara&Kobe View Post
I'm reading all these posts with interest because am getting worried about our 13 week old Kobe. He was eating really well until recently and then suddenly went off his kibble; I added some tuna in and he loved it for about a week and today he hasn't touched any food at all. It has been fairly hot here recently (90-100 degrees every day) which may not be helping but I just don't know what to try next as I want to make sure he is getting all the nutrients he needs. Any advice please!!!
What type of food are you feeding him?
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 06:47 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul,Tara&Kobe View Post
If your pup is still eating stuff like cheese, liver, chicken, whatever and just not it's meal, you probably have a picky eater. If you go back 3 or 4 pages in this very thread you'll see tons of options that have worked for other people.

IF your pup is really not eating anything, you need to get to the vet cause there is possibly something wrong and you can't wait long with a young puppy.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 10:58 AM
Crowned Member

If your puppy is picky as eater and has been vet cleared as healthy.....then you are feeding too much and too often. The dog is not hungry when the food gets delivered or has access to food ongoing....both of these things will reinforce a picky eater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page