Poop, poop and more poop! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Question Poop, poop and more poop!

I have a 3 month old puppy, his stools are SO runny. I do not know what to do! I have taken him to the vet two times so far. They cleared him for parasites and all of that good stuff and asked me to change his food-- I started him on Blue buffalo LBP, we then switched to Natures Recipe, and now that is not working either. He has been on each of those foods for at least 2 weeks. Does anybody have recommendations on this? I feed him two cups per day which is what the vet advised, he runs, plays and does all that other good puppy stuff. The stools are just runny..I have searched this forum for weeks reading about everything..I just figured I would finally post something maybe somebody can give me ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 09:51 PM
Elite Member

What flavor of food are you feeding...chicken, lamb, etc?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

the BB was Lamb, the nature recipe is Chicken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 10:23 PM

I had the same problem when my dog was a puppy. We started with feeding him Purina ProPlan Large Breed Puppy. After learning more about dog food I transitioned to Orijen Large Breed Puppy. Even after he was fully transitioned to that he was having runny stools. I added a spoon full of pumpkin to each meal to try to firm them up and it got a little better, but not completely better. We had taken him to the vet and checked for parasites, etc.

After fully trying the pumpkin and ruling out everything except the food I switched him to a food with a lower fat content, Solid Gold Wolf Cub. I kept doing the pumpkin (he loves it). After the transition the stools firmed up. So for the rest of his puppy-hood I fed Solid Gold Wolf Cub and Acana Wild Prairie (all life stages). Firmed up and is still firm (now he is back on Orijen Adult Food).

There are a ton of great dog foods out there so feel free to try several, but remember that seeing results after a transition can take a while, so you have to be patient. Pumpkin can't hurt, I still give it to my dog as a kong-filler. You just buy the plain, canned variety and add a spoonful. Overfeeding can also cause loose stools so you should make sure that you aren't doing that.

I don't know much about more serious health problems, just about trying new foods. I understand how frustrating it is worrying about what is wrong with the poop (and then people think you are crazy when your dog poops at the park and you are dancing around because it is firm...)- good luck!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the hope, should I switch him cold turkey, or mix them? I switched cold turkey, and I was also wondering how long should I try one food, is two weeks long enough? I read somewhere 7-10 days which is what I have been doing. Also I will buy some pumpkin it could not hurt to try!

Last edited by CierraRocks; 07-05-2011 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Added more.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 10:29 PM

How about trying a totally different meat source like vension/buffalo with Taste of the Wild? Mine little one can't tolerate even a bit of chicken dog food but does well on lamb or vension/buffalo. I had one in the past who even lamb to lamb he had trouble with different preservative formulations. I had a cat who couldn't handle high protein levels. It's a matter of findings something that works. Keep at it, you will find the one that works for him.

Lyn -- Mom 2 Shaman von Raesfeld
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Well so far, chicken and lamb is a no go. Next I will try the venison/buffalo Taste of the wild and try the pumpkin.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 10:57 PM

did they check for coccidia? It is pretty tough to find in poo. I had a pup go two clears and then when I brought in morning poo that was kept in the fridge, viola!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 11:00 PM

You might try and add some quality probiotics to his diet that worked for my pup.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, the first time I brought him in they put something in his behind to collect poop it was negative. The second time I brought in the bigger sample and they had it sent off and rechecked for coccidia and some other stuff everythign negative. Today is the first harder poop. It made me so excited ! I am hoping the stools stay this way, we will find out throughout the day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page