Puppy Underweight, But Adding Food Brings Diarrhea - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Puppy Underweight, But Adding Food Brings Diarrhea

UGH, so frustrating. Maximus is a little over 5 months old now and only weighs in at 52lbs. His frame is obviously built for a much larger dog. He's so bony to the touch, and you can make out all of his ribs when he's walking.. the poor guy looks like he's starved.

He's been looked at for parasites, everything is good. He gets 3 cups of Blue Buffalo Large Puppy twice a day (total of 6 cups per day) which he scarfs in no time at all. I will also add a pump of salmon oil to every other meal. Still, he won't gain any weight. If I add even the tiniest amount of kibble (say an additional 1/8 of a cup) he starts having diarrhea - it's almost as if he can only take in a certain amount of volume before his digestive track gets weird. I deal with the diarrhea by taking him down to 4-5 cups of kibble and adding one cup of rice for 2-3 days, that fixes him right up.

Is there anything I can do to sneak in calories for him? He's a perfectly healthy dog otherwise.. coat looks great, energy level is up, but he's perpetually underweight. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 02:02 AM
Crowned Member

provide a picture .
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 09:22 AM
Knighted Member

His weight sounds normal for his age so a picture would be helpful. When you tried increasing his food did you add it in as an extra meal? Sometimes more food divided into smaller meals helps. I understand your frustration though because my guy is almost two and was underweight up until 1.5 months ago. How are the size and what is the frequency of his bowel movements? Are they normal in color? I'm asking because if they are huge then that could be an indication that he's not absorbing all the nutrients and stuff that he needs which would explain why he's underweight.

Jazz, Shiloh Shepherd, 5 yrs old, CGC HIC
Bunny, GSD X, 7.5 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

these pictures don't do a good job of conveying how skinny he is. i do think though you can see a disparity between his head/shoulders and the rest of his body. his ribcage as you see it is all bone, there isn't any fat or muscle around them. you can feel each individual rib, to the point where it feels gross. you can also see all of the ribs, very clearly, when he is walking.

for a reference, here is his dad:

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 05:48 PM
Elite Member

Impressive looking dad. He does look thin and could use some more weight. I would up the food intake more, spread throughout the day, since you said medical issues were ruled out.

Chrissy

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybunny View Post
His weight sounds normal for his age so a picture would be helpful. When you tried increasing his food did you add it in as an extra meal? Sometimes more food divided into smaller meals helps. I understand your frustration though because my guy is almost two and was underweight up until 1.5 months ago. How are the size and what is the frequency of his bowel movements? Are they normal in color? I'm asking because if they are huge then that could be an indication that he's not absorbing all the nutrients and stuff that he needs which would explain why he's underweight.
his stools are actually fairly small, and he alternates from having normal poops and soft serve stool.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verivus View Post
Impressive looking dad. He does look thin and could use some more weight. I would up the food intake more, spread throughout the day, since you said medical issues were ruled out.
thanks.

any suggestions as to how to increase the intake? perhaps add an additional 1/8 cup every couple of days?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 05:53 PM
Elite Member

I would add another cup per day and go from there.

Chrissy

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 06:45 PM
Crowned Member

Since he has diarrhea when you add food, how about switching to a food with a higher calorie count? He does look pretty skinny but that age is so hard to keep weight on when they are growing so fast.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 07:51 PM
Master Member

Frank had the same problem with puppy food to feed him enough of the puppy food to keep the right amount of weight on him, gave him diarrhea so what I did was give him the amount of puppy food he could handle with out having bad stools and the extra food he needed for the weight I used adult dog food, So say he needed 6 cups of food totaly I would give him 4 cups of puppy and 2 cups of adult. I switched him totally to adult food at about 10 months.

frank(Rosehall's Duke of Hearts CD, BN, RN) gsd
indy (Indy Bluestorm CD, GN, RN,CGC) BC
king bc mix
Rowdy (MyHearts Red Treasure) Australian Shepherd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page