What to feed him?! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

What to feed him?!

Hi,

I have a 4 month old female GSD named Queenie and I'm just curious as to what is the proper feeding method for feeding my dog. I'm recently moved to Ghana and there ain't that many choices of processed dog food here. I feed him Diamond Food's NutraNuggets Super Premium for Puppies. I put the food in a large bowl and mix it with water. Before that though, I give him Laughing Cow Cheese with his vitamins. Is this the right way?

Here are some pictures of how she looks...

As you can see, thats his food at the side there. He sometimes doesn't eat it. Only when I put pieces of meat or canned tuna in there.

Thanks,

Carlos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 06:56 AM
Crowned Member

Wow, that's a lot of food. I take it that you allow free-feeding rather than specific meals? I don't know which method is better, but it seems like most people I've talked to feed specific amounts at a time, in a meal. That way you can tell exactly how much your puppy is eating (or not eating) and also the food doesn't get stale or eaten by something else.

Since you don't have great options for kibble, maybe raw would be a better way to go? I don't feed raw, but there are lots of people on this board who can help get you started.

What vitamins are you giving your dog?

Your puppy is very cute, I love the floppy ears!

You came to the right place to ask questions. There's a lot of smart people on this forum who would be happy to help you!

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 10:48 AM
Crowned Member

I feed puppies as much as they want three times a day until they are about six months or they start losing the lean look, whichever comes first, unless they are the type of puppy that will eat until they explode . I put their food down for about ten minutes and then pick it up. If they don't eat, they don't eat. I do not add water or anything else with it as that can encourage a picky eater to be pickier.

It's usually not necessary to add vitamins if you are feeding a good kibble, but not sure about your options over there.

Elaine and the herd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

@Good_Karma: Yes, I am considering raw. May post some topics on RAW feeding for my puppy. Its true about the food getting stale...usually its eaten by the Boeboel that I have who eats soooooo much! About the floppy ears - I'm hoping that they stand later on in his life. But wouldn't mind if its down for the rest of his dog life...they DO look cute!

@Elaine: How much do they eat? Just a few kibbles? Half of what I've given them? A cup? I don't really know what really satisfies them!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 06:13 PM
Knighted Member

My puppies ususlly start prefering it without water pretty early...like 10 wks or so. Your pup may prefer it dry. I mix canned in with my kibble.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 06:26 PM
Elite Member

I never added water to the kibble either. And depending on the food, it should say what is recommended feeding for your puppy by weight. Is there any way you can order your dog food online and have it delivered. That way you can get a better quality kibble? Just a thought on that. I agree...feed the amount it says on the bag and then if your puppy doesn't finish it all...pick it up and feed later on. I gave my puppy 3 meals a day which she still gets now.

She is a cutie. I love the floppy ears!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 06:45 PM
Crowned Member

Just put down several cups at a time and see how much he's eating, then put down a bit more than that at each meal so he has as much as he wants.

Elaine and the herd
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 07:43 PM
The Italian One

It depends on the puppy but I've found that most will over eat so I don't free feed them. I had one puppy find the bag of kibble and eat, eat, eat. By the time I found him his little belly was bulging. (I thought my DH was watching him while I was cleaning house.) In my experience, puppies don't really know when to stop so you have to know for them.

As others have said, most packages will have feeding amounts listed on the package. I'd follow the recommendations on the bag. If your puppy isn't finishing you can cut back a little or you can add a little if she seems really hungry after eating.

I've never added water to dry kibble either. The dry kibble helps to clean the teeth kind of like bones do.

I've never added vitamins to puppies meals. However, since you don't have the best kibble available you might want to look at the required nutrition for your dog's age and then see what's missing from the kibble your feeding. Then add in what you're missing.

Home of Sundance, Butch & Wyatt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 08:07 PM
The Italian One

Dietary Requirements in Dogs

Just wanted to add this as I thought it might be helpful to you.

Home of Sundance, Butch & Wyatt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 09:01 PM
Crowned Member

Over eating is much more common in the sporting breeds than in GSDs. As you know your pup isn't a good eater already, offering as much as he wants should be just fine.

As for the recommendations on the bag, I have found them to be worse than useless. Feed however much it takes to keep your pup at a good weight and that's all you need to know.

Elaine and the herd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page