I Know This Topic Has Been Beat To Death (food/poop) HELP!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

I Know This Topic Has Been Beat To Death (food/poop) HELP!!!

After Timber's parvo and Coccidia, I swore up and down that I never wanted to see diahhrea again!!!
After all of that vetenary hoopla, I wanted to get Timber on something that would really help boost his immune system. So, I decided to put him on Wellness 5. My vet's office sells Canidae and Orijin. I had picked up brochures for both. At that point, I couldnt stop thinking about the Orijin. The only kind she had was the one for all life stages with fish. Boy, does that smell delicious! NOT!!!!
So, we started making our transition. Everything went pretty smoothly except for the last part of the transition. I gave Timber a couple of days of 3/4 cup Orijin and 1/4 cup of the Wellness. The minute I bumped it up to a full cup of Orijin with no Wellness is when the poo poo trouble began. His poops went from finally being wonderful little turds to soft turds, to pudding like poo, to diahhrea. Ugh!!! Great, MORE diahhrea!
When that didnt clear up after a couple days, I bumped him back down to the 3/4 cup Orijin & 1/4 cup Wellness. I got his poop back to soft turds but its still not right. It starts out as soft turds and towards the end, turns to diahhrea. Some poops may be like that and some may be a little more regular. One can never tell.
Someone please, please help. Should I take him off the Orijen and just stick with Wellness? I was starting to think he pooped less on the Orijin and it didnt stink as bad.
He gets fed a total of 3 cups of food per day and is gaining weight wonderfully. 10 lbs in 3 weeks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 07:35 AM
Knighted Member

Try adding a little canned plain pumpkin?
Cut back by 1/4 cup?
From all the reading I have done many pups don't tolerate Orijen well, a bit too rich, so go slow....I wouldn't switch back just yet. Why did you change foods?

Renee'

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 10:09 AM
Elite Member

It sounds like you may have switched too fast. Then again, I've heard of people switching without transitioning with no poop problems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 10:13 AM
Elite Member

We add Wellness CORE to the Orijen and Acana. The CORE solidifies the stool like magic.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Counter~
What ratio do you use for the Wellness core to the Orijen?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 11:09 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val-Hi King Timber View Post
Counter~
What ratio do you use for the Wellness core to the Orijen?
I basically buy the largest sized bag of all 3 foods, then mix them evenly. I know that, with any transition we've attempted, no matter how slow the transition is, even if they get the runs, give it a few weeks to a month and the poo will solidify once their body adjusts itself. But with the CORE, it was overnight and their poo hardened and has never been better! No matter what new grain-free kibble we try, CORE will always be in the blend as a foundation for solid stool. The dogs didn't like the fish flavor, so we use the original/chicken. I thought, at one time, Nara might've been allergic to chicken, so we went poultry-free, but later found out that she's sensitive to flea bites and is fine with poultry.

Good luck! I know it isn't easy.

O, and sometimes, after they go a long time with solid stool, they might get the runs, but it only lasts 2-3 days, almost like a doggie cold or something that causes it. Beowulf just went through this, and is back to solid stool. So don't be alarmed if that happens to you. Stick with it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page