It's official.....We are going RAW! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Smile It's official.....We are going RAW!

So....after 2 foods that didn't work for Blitz's belly (Wellness and Orijin) and one that worked really well (she loved it and her stools firmed up)(GO natural) but unfortunly had to much calicum for a growing large breed puppy I decided to go raw! Now I hope I don't get grief for this part but I was afraid I would not do it right and keep her balanced well (One of the main reason I tried 3 kibbles first) so I am going with the frozen raw patties by BRAVO!

In the end I just figured I wanted to do what would work the best for Blitz and keep her healthy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 04:44 PM
Crowned Member

i'm a kibble for life owner but whatever works for you and Blitz is great so props!!!

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZoppa View Post
i'm a kibble for life owner but whatever works for you and Blitz is great so props!!!
I have always been too but Blitz has a very senstive tummy and I was at a total loss for something that would work for her...never know maybe this won't either...just hoping I find something that will keep her healthy and with a settled belly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 04:52 PM
Crowned Member

i have all mine on 4Health right now and our male has a sensitive tummy and so far he's been doing fabulous on it!! I also mix in some Taste of the Wild so he's getting the 4 star food plus a little bit of 6 star. I can afford to feed taste of the wild solely so i just buy the little 5 lb bags and the bigger bags when i can and they're good. bout a 1/4 -1/2 cup of the taste of the wild with the 4health which for him is about 3-4 cups. he hasnt been sick once and his poops have been solid for the first time consistently in his 6 years.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 04:56 PM
liv

I hear you! My girl had skin issues like crazy and I tried several different foods - the one I ended up with wasn't as "good" as I was hoping, but she is doing awesome on it, so I'm sticking with it. I never tried raw, but that was going to be my next step.

Hope it works for you!

Liv

Kokoda - GSD - 31.03.09
Onyx - GSD - 05.09.09

The man on top of the mountain didn't fall there --Anonymous
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 04:57 PM
Crowned Member

How long did you stay on the wellness and orijen before giving up?

How long did you take to transition from one to the other?

What was blitz eating when you got him from the breeder?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Crowned Member

I've had my dog on raw before and loved it. Way to go! The only reason we switched back to kibble was because of a move and not having the time to prepare it. We'll go back eventually, I'm sure!

Honestly though; doing it yourself is a lot cheaper and isn't that hard to understand. I'd recommend reading up on balancing the diet and see if it's something you could do.

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
How long did you stay on the wellness and orijen before giving up?

How long did you take to transition from one to the other?

What was blitz eating when you got him from the breeder?
She was on wellness from the breeder and she had told me she was going to switch her because it never agreed with her, I switched to the orijin over a 4 week period so very slowly and kept her on it for 2 weeks once she was fully switched, her stool was like water! I just bought the GO natural a few days ago but then started hearing about the high CA so went to the raw before getting her fully switched to the GO.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Knighted Member

Don't surprised at first if she has diarrhea switching to raw....if you post in RAW BARF section you will get tons of valuable advice!
Good luck!

Renee'

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 06:03 PM
Crowned Member

I would add some digestive enzymes and probiotics during the transition, and I agree with Renee, you may get some runny poo during the transition.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page