undecided (Orijen vs. Wellness) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Question undecided (Orijen vs. Wellness)

I need to switch my 10 week old puppy from Canidae to something as she's having diarrhea most likely due to the food (worm checked, etc). I read a lot about Orijen and Wellness and I would welcome opinion from folks who have used both. I'm going to switch her to a large breed puppy formula and they both seems since. I realize that what works for one may not work for another, but needless to say, I would like to make up my mind by hearing about experiences with both brands.

My concern with Orijen would be how difficult (or how easy would be) for the food to get spoiled. I will be looking at expiration dates/keeping in a dark cool room but also I don't want "the (bad) food because i didn't keep it the way it should" upset her stomach. Is the food that "sensitive" to the environment?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 01:30 PM

I do not know about how quickly it spoils (we go through it wayy to quickly for that) but I LOVE LOVE Orijen!! I feed the 6-fish formula and it's just awesome and both of my pups do great on it.. I have also used Wellness and it is a great food as well (probably one of the best sold at Petco/Petsmart type stores) but I personally consider Orijen in a league of its own as far as ingredients goes.. However it can be difficult to find for me sometimes..

I was concerned with the transition because its so rich but I basically switched cold turkey and neither had any stomach issues (I've heard this is abnormal though).

Good luck!

PS. please note that I am not an expert on any food, but am merely just stating my experience..

Kaya (GSD) - May 9th, 2010

Kobi (Aussie) - April 1st, 2009

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Crowned Member

If you're going to choose one of the two, I'd go with Orijen and see how she does on that. If she's still not doing well on it, then I'd go to Wellness.

I heard that a lot of dogs that are switched to Orijen have soft stools for a week or so, so keep that in mind.

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm didn't think about that. Would Wellness not be as rich or would any "high quality" pet food be rich anyways?
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 04:47 PM

I switched from Royal Canine GSD blend to Orijen 6 fish and ginger is doing great on it. Switched about 6 months or so ago, she was really scratchy on the RC GSD Blend, now she is no where near as bad as she was so I suspect a chicken allergy was the cause.

Again Im no expert, but she is doing much better now then she was.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 05:04 PM
Master Member

Unfortuntly we had very loose stools on both..... We were first on wellness but it did not agree with our Pup so we switched to Orijin, I love Orijin as I fed it to one of my other dogs but she as well could not handle it until adulthood. So we tried it with our puppy and had the runs with it as well. We just switched to GO natural endurance formula (it's not just for puppies but has a puppy feeding guideline on the back) a few days ago because it is also a high quality food but has a bit less protien at 36% (Origin has 40%) and so far it's working very well, we switched cold turkey because it couldn't get any worse! So after 2 days everything is firming up already and she LOVES to food! ( she has never cleaned a bowl before until trying this)

Hope you find something that works for you, seems Shepherds have picky tummies! I'm hoping this food that we are on now sticks... If not I'm considering trying raw.

Last edited by CaseysGSD; 10-20-2010 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 05:22 PM
Crowned Member

Both foods are great. Advantage to Orijen for being grainfree and having a LBP formula. Wellness has the CORE line which is grainfree but not suitable for puppies. Both foods are dry kibble and have the same risk of spoiling as any other kibble. I keep mine in the bag in an air tight container. One bag lasts about a month. No issues with it going bad. Do check the date when you purchase, Orijen is harder to find and may sit on the shelf longer.

I was switching from Royal Canin to Wellness but my pup didn't care for it so I went with Orijen. Had to transition very slow, just a few bites of the new stuff to keep stools solid and be very careful of overfeeding as that can cause loose stools as well.

-Brandi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
6-5-09

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 05:43 PM
Crowned Member

I would try a small bag of Orijen first and see how it goes, mix it in slowly with the old food. Ask if there's a return policy if he doesn't like it, but I've never heard of a dog that didn't like the taste. I feed Nature's Variety and it's preservative-free so I don't buy huge bags of it so it's always fresh. I figure the few extra dollars per bag is worth it. Good luck!!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 11:51 PM

All three of my guys are on Orijen and they love it!

Just don't overfeed as you will have loose stools and they also pack on the pounds fast.

On Earth
Jake, Sheltie. 11
Dart, Border Collie. 8
Ranger, GSD. 1
In Heaven
Flagg. Sheltie 1970-1984
Nitro. GSD 1999-2010
Garm. Rottie 1990-1999
Mike. Border Collie 1988-2001
Dad 1928-2008
Mom 1929-2009
I miss you all so very much!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 12:16 AM
Crowned Member

Orijen is top of the line if you don't mind paying for it. Wellness isn't too cheap either, so it's probably not that big of a price difference. Maybe an extra $10-$15 per bag depending on where you go.

Ive been feeding it since I switched lucy off of innova about a month or two ago and she loves it. Nothing but good things to say about that kibble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page