Feeding the GSD puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Question Feeding the GSD puppy

I know there is a lot of posts out there, and I've been spinning my head around trying to figure out what to do! So please help me!! My 10 week old puppy started to have diarrhea and long story short, my breeder and I believe that Canidae might be the culprid, (along with perhaps the pig ear that i fed her the other day) so I'm thinking of switching (might just be too rich for their little stomachs). Now I hear a lot about feeding puppies (GSD) and the risk of joint problems later on if they are not on the correct food. So what should I look for in the food? I was thinking of finding a good quality, large breed puppy food just because it might be easier on her stomach (until she's a bit older) and then switching her to regular dog food. I was thinking of taste of the wild, EVO or wellness. Any reason why these would (or not) be good choices? Any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 02:31 PM
Crowned Member

I know EVO is grain free and high protein, so not good for her right now.

Carolina Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 02:41 PM
Crowned Member

I believe that EVO and Taste of the Wild are too high in calcium/phosphorus for growing puppies. Wellness makes an excellent Large Breed Puppy formula.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 02:41 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkeeley View Post
I was thinking of taste of the wild, EVO or wellness. Any reason why these would (or not) be good choices? Any other suggestions?
EVO and TOTW, and just about any other grainless foods, are higher in Ca levels, so must of us tend to avoid those until our dogs are mostly done growing. the higher protein in itself is not a problem. wellness makes a large breed puppy food which ive seen many people here use.

haha..Emoore beat me to the punch.

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

I'm leaning towards Wellness too. Good/human grade ingredients! Her stool is back to normal today so I'll keep her on hamburger/rice for another day or 2 and then start the very gradual switch to the new puppy food!

So she should stay on puppy food until done growing or when is the best time to go to adult dog food?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 12:56 PM
Master Member

I switched my puppy to wellness very slowly and now that she is fully on it she has had terriable diarrhea. She has had fecal tests and everything so we know it's 100% the food. while I don't want to sway you because what my not work for my puppy's tummy may be fine for yours.
I just payed a visit to a local all natural dog health store and had a long convo about this with a pet nutrionalist there whom also owns a german shepherd.While they do suggest a raw diet, after letting them know that is something I'm not ok with because I have young children in my home his next recomendation was a food called GO natural....I'm still researching the food more to see if anyone else here has used it.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseysGSD View Post
I switched my puppy to wellness very slowly and now that she is fully on it she has had terriable diarrhea. She has had fecal tests and everything so we know it's 100% the food. while I don't want to sway you because what my not work for my puppy's tummy may be fine for yours.
I just payed a visit to a local all natural dog health store and had a long convo about this with a pet nutrionalist there whom also owns a german shepherd.While they do suggest a raw diet, after letting them know that is something I'm not ok with because I have young children in my home his next recomendation was a food called GO natural....I'm still researching the food more to see if anyone else here has used it.
Hmm I'll have to check it out. I'm still researching (gotta a couple of days before the switch)...thanks! It's just so hard. Like you said; what might work for one puppy might not work for others
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 01:01 PM
Crowned Member

Obviously what works for one dog may not work for another. Do your best to avoid switching too often- it's frustrating isn't it?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 08:46 PM

My 8 week old puppy had pudding like stools. He was on Canidae lamb and rice. Started mixing Wellness large breed puppy with the Canidae and his stools are much firmer. Still has loose stools sometimes but things are much better most of the time. I think it may be the puppy biscuits since I give a small piece every time he goes outside, comes when I call, and when he goes in his crate. I need to use a different treat and see if that cures the problem totally.

I tried canned pumpkin in his Canidae at first but it didn't help. But now he's addicted to it and won't eat his food without it!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 08:50 PM
Crowned Member

You know, hmmm, how much kibble are you feeding her? If you are feeding her too much, that could also give her runny poop. I just thought about this as it is not the first time that people have contacted us for the same reason and come to find out, they were over feeding the puppy.

Carolina Johnson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page