Rawhide - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Question Rawhide

I keep reading mixed opinions about giving pups rawhide... A lot of people say that a pup could choke on a large piece, or the rawhide expands in their stomach with water.

I gave my pup a compressed rawhide bone last night and he absolutely loved it! Do you think it is safe to give him these if I monitor him? I would never leave him alone with one.

I also got him a bullystick that he loves, but boy do those stink!

Any recommendations on other chews for him?

He is 12 weeks old.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- My experiences of raising & training a German Shepherd puppy from the beginning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 08:57 AM

I've always been wary of rawhides, but my dog thinks otherwise and loves them, so I still give her one once in a while, but as you said, the dog should be monitored. Keep in mnd that even though many raw hides are pegged as 'teeth cleaners' they don't do nearly enough in cleaning your dogs teeth. The best chews I've found, which my dog also loves are just bones. Knuckelebones, soup bones, beef ribs. The dog loves them, and they do wonders for her teeth. But the same as with rawhide, I monitor consumption, and steal any bigger pieces that she breaks off.

chris and clark (whelped 07/18/2008)
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Are raw bones safe for a 12 week old?

Do I get them from a butcher? What exactly do I ask them for?

Sorry if these are dumb questions

- My experiences of raising & training a German Shepherd puppy from the beginning.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 09:16 AM
Master Member

they are not dumb questions. i try to wait till my pups are at least 6 months old before i give them a whole raw hide bone. otherwise i would give them thing raw hide strips, to help with teething.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 09:27 AM

I'm not sure about the age. I didn't give my dog bones until after a year old but there was no specific reason I followed. Maybe someone else with more experiance can chime in.

Also, the debate still rages about giving dogs bones so you should read up on the pros and cons. I'd hate to be the only source for your decision. I'm just sharing my experiances, but I've read plenty of stories about gastrointestinal problems and lacerating bone fragments. There are plenty of reasons to give and not to give bones.

As far as acquiring the bones, butcher is fine, stores should have them, and pet shops have the processed bones which I don't care too much for. You can ask for beef neck bones or soup bones. I started my dog with ribs. Would buy beef ribs at a store, use the meat for a stew or something.

chris and clark (whelped 07/18/2008)
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 09:36 AM
Elite Member

I was pretty anti-rawhide until recently because of the harsh chemicals they use to process the hide and the countries of origin (Brazil, Mexico, China - all places where I don't trust the quality standards). Plus I've heard a lot about dogs swallowing large chunks and getting blockages, which scares the heck out of me. I love giving them bully sticks, but OMG do they STINK! Anyway, I decided to give rawhide a try yesterday when I came across some manufactured in the USA with the country of origin in the USA, claiming not to use so many chemicals in the processing (who really knows...). I carefully monitored the dogs to make sure they didn't break off any large pieces, and when they did I just threw those pieces away. Mostly the dangerous pieces came from the knots at the ends. They really liked chewing on them, and I may buy some that don't have the knots at the end. I would NEVER leaver a dog alone while they're chewing on these, though.

Minnie - CGC
Tanner
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 11:20 AM
Crowned Member

I stay away from rawhide because of the potential for intestinal blockage. I give them bully sticks, raw bones, pig's ear on the rare occasion, cow hoof, raw bones with meat
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 12:03 PM
liv

I avoid rawhide completely. I don't know about the made in the USA rawhide that Minnieski mentioned, but most rawhide is made by using lye to remove the hair from the hide, and then because it ends up an unattractive grey color, they bleach it to make it nice and white. Add to that is the fact that it can expand four times in the stomach, particularly if the dog drinks within a few hours of having it, which is what can cause the blockages. My girl loves her bully sticks (I buy the low scent ones), the odd pig ear, raw bones, cucumbers, PB Kongs... For me, I feel like there are enough things she likes out there to not need to consider rawhide. If you do give rawhide, I would restrict water for a while after (I don't know how long, as I don't know how long it takes to digest - if someone knows, that might be helpful), and watch them carefully.

Liv

Kokoda - GSD - 31.03.09
Onyx - GSD - 05.09.09

The man on top of the mountain didn't fall there --Anonymous
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 02:39 PM
Knighted Member

the gastric juices in a dog are not strong enough to break down rawhide once your dog injests it.....ie it is indigestible. yes, if the pieces are small enough they will pass through, but personally im only going to give my dog items that are not digestible when i know they are going to ingest some of said item.

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv View Post
I avoid rawhide completely. I don't know about the made in the USA rawhide that Minnieski mentioned, but most rawhide is made by using lye to remove the hair from the hide, and then because it ends up an unattractive grey color, they bleach it to make it nice and white. Add to that is the fact that it can expand four times in the stomach, particularly if the dog drinks within a few hours of having it, which is what can cause the blockages. My girl loves her bully sticks (I buy the low scent ones), the odd pig ear, raw bones, cucumbers, PB Kongs... For me, I feel like there are enough things she likes out there to not need to consider rawhide. If you do give rawhide, I would restrict water for a while after (I don't know how long, as I don't know how long it takes to digest - if someone knows, that might be helpful), and watch them carefully.
Pig ears are a good safe alternative?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page