how much to feed my puppy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

how much to feed my puppy?

well i have a 4 months old gsd and i have her on nutro cause blue buffalo was not working out. how much and how many times a day should i be feeding her? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 06:34 PM
Crowned Member

What was the problem with the Blue Buffalo? Was that the food your breeder was feeding? How long have you had her for?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 09:28 PM
Elite Member

Every dog food is different. It should have something on the side of the bad that will tell you how much each meal should be according to weight. I would feed 3 meals a day til the dog is 6 months - 1 year old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 09:33 PM
Crowned Member

I wouldn't go by the bag suggestions, but the feel of your pup. You should feel a rib or two, during growth spurts up the amounts and if the pup feels plump back off a bit.

Nutro isn't a very good food for a GSD. Taste of the Wild fish based would be best if you don't want to spend $ on a better kibble. Tractor Supply carries TOTW along with many pet stores. If you can afford better, Wellness, Acana or Orijen have the appropriate calcium/phosphorus levels for growing GSD's.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 11:14 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
I wouldn't go by the bag suggestions, but the feel of your pup. You should feel a rib or two, during growth spurts up the amounts and if the pup feels plump back off a bit.

Nutro isn't a very good food for a GSD. Taste of the Wild fish based would be best if you don't want to spend $ on a better kibble. Tractor Supply carries TOTW along with many pet stores. If you can afford better, Wellness, Acana or Orijen have the appropriate calcium/phosphorus levels for growing GSD's.
Is TOTW safe for a 4 month old pup? I noticed they don't list their Calcium content either on the website or the bag. I have heard TOTW is not safe for growing puppies... Is the fish formula different? If so I would love to make the switch to grain free for my pup too.

Laura

Jackson- DDR/WGSL 5/5/10
Tinah vom Gildaf- DDR 4/29/13
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Crowned Member

No, it doesn't have the proper ratio, but much better than nutro...And the ingredients are better all around than nutro. I would feed the pacific stream if I didn't have the $ to feed a better kibble.

Taste of the wild /calcium 2.1 ph 1.4
Pacific stream/ calcium 1.9 ph 1.1
wetlands/ calcium 2.1 ph 1.4

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post

That's interesting because I will be switching puppy food here in a few days and was recomended to use Nutro. My GSD is 8 weeks old and when he goes potty its never solid. So the vet told us to take a sample to them so they can test for parasites. It came back fine and we were told to put him on a bland skinless boneless boiled chicken and rice meal for 3 days to clean out his system and try again. Nutro was recomended at the training facility here in town that also breeds only GSD's. Science diet was recomended by the vet if his stools dont thicken up.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

her stool never became solid so we were told to try a different food and i thought that Nutro was second best for GSD
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 08:25 AM
Crowned Member

My Cisco is 6 months old and he has been doing good with 3 cups a day. 1.5 in the morning and 1.5 in the evening.

Carolina Johnson

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

the food that i got her is the Nutro Max for large breeds is that good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page