purina puppy chow? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

purina puppy chow?

What you guys think about this brand "purina puppy chow"

My puppy is a 3 month old german shepherd pitbull mix.

Ingredients
Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, brewers rice, soybean meal, pearled barley, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), beet pulp, animal digest, dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, salt, potassium chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, DL-Methionine, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, vitamin supplements (A, E, B-12, D-3), manganese sulfate, niacin, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, biotin, garlic oil, pyridoxine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 10:12 AM
Crowned Member

I don't like the idea of feeding a growing puppy all the corn and soybean meal and barley. That's a lot of grain. Also, when you see "by-product", that's not a good thing.

For a little more money you can buy a better food. For a lot more money, you can buy a very good food. Go to a pet store and start looking at lables. Avoid anything with corn, and look for foods that list a meat meal first. (Meal is okay.) If you have questions, come back and ask.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 10:15 AM

If you have a costco near you go and buy a bag of the Kirkland Adult Dogfood. If you have a Tractor Supply near you, go buy the 4health brand dogfood. THey are inexpensive and will give you much better results. They are good foods that are very affordable.

Taylor
Mommy of 5 little girls, Arwen-10/15/06-Blk/Tan GSD and Strider 03-23-10 Blk/Tan GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Crowned Member

Here is a review of the Purina product.

Dog Food Reviews - Purina Puppy Chow - Powered by ReviewPost

I don't know of anyone who would recommend this food. Also, when purchasing a puppy food, I would buy a large breed puppy formula. There are many, many better choices for your little pup!
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 10:20 AM
Elite Member

I recommend Blue Buffalo, especially if you cannot afford the super high great dog food like Orijen and Wellness. Blue Buffalo is easier to find and isn't as high. It's also a good dog food, 4 star dog food according to Dog Food Analysis.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 10:23 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD
I agree with BlackPuppy though to be a little more clear, you want a NAMED meat meal. Not "meat meal" or "meat and bone meal". Both are poor ingredients. Look for things like "turkey meal", "chicken meal", "duck meal", ect preferably as the first couple of ingredients.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD
If they're looking for something roughly in the Purina price range, Blue Buffalo is going to be too expensive. 4Health, Kirkland Signature, Chicken Soup for the Dog, things like that would be a much better fit price wise. Though if they're willing to put out the money, there are plenty of other really good brands to recommend.

And I know some people will disagree with me but in a money pinch I'd personally be willing to feed Petsmars brand, Authority. Some of their formulas aren't too bad especially considering you can buy 30lb bags for only $34!

Authority Puppy Lamb Formula
Lamb, Lamb Meal, Brown Rice, Wheat, Wheat Germ Meal, Oat Groats, Rice Bran, Dried Egg Product, Beef Tallow (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Fish Meal, Natural Flavor, Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Fish Oil, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Taurine. Vitamin and Mineral Supplements (Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Ascorbic Acid), Copper Sulfate, Vitamin A Supplement, Manganese Sulfate, Niacin, D Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin, Calcium Iodate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamin Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement).

Could always supplement with some cheap cuts of meats and eggs to give your dog a higher meat intake too and balance out the grain levels a little better.

Last edited by ChancetheGSD; 10-08-2010 at 10:39 AM.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 10:39 AM

We use Solid Gold or Avoderm. They are a little more, but you will find that the puppy will eat a lot less. You will need to switch slowly to the new food, no matter what you choose. I look at this way - the money you spend now for food will offset the money you don't spend later on vet bills.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Master Member

Authority from Petsmart is a good food as is Exclusive from Sam's Club for the price range. I have also fed Exceed from the feed store and is in the same price range. If you are going to go with Purina, you need to look at some of their higher end stuff, not grocery store level. These are adequate foods for someone on a budget.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Elite Member

I fed Authority to my last GSD and she did really well on it as a puppy and as an adult. Only later in life did I change her food to Nature's Recipe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page