Dishes for Food - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Question Dishes for Food

I was wondering if anyone has found food dishes that can be elevated as the puupy grows or that you have had great success with and would recommend. thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 08:09 PM
Crowned Member

I can't see any reason to elevate a puppy's dishes in the first place. I would only elevate an old dog's dishes if it became painful to bend over and then only enough so he was comfortable.

Elaine and the herd
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Really becuase i read that it is better to elevate to assist with digestion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 09:57 PM
Crowned Member

It has nothing to do with digestion. Go ahead and feed your puppy like most everyone else: in a dish on the floor.

Elaine and the herd
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 10:32 PM
Crowned Member

Oh, I fell for the elevated feeding station too- Stosh wasn't to interested in food and I thought that might help. Turns out he was so afraid of the thing he could barely bring himself to get near it, and only to drink. So I put a flat pie plate on the floor and he's been happy ever since
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 02:00 AM
Crowned Member

if it bothers you, train your pup to eat while laying down. Dont fall for the elevated bowl bit. Its only a scheme to get more money from you.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 02:14 AM
Knighted Member

I only use elevated and all my dogs love them. It is the only kind I use it is more comfortable for larger dogs and was recommended by my vet. The store and feed ones can be adjusted as puppy grows. They are made by OurPets. You can get it at Tractor Supply or PetSmart. If you want fancier ones you can get those online. It is just about your preference for elevated or not. It actually helps my puppy from not scarfing her food.

Jamie Lee~blk GSD~6/24/10
Lola~mastiff mix~2/10/08
Samson~minpin~1/29/06
Grover~terrier mix~1/28/11
Victor~GSD~(RIP)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 02:17 AM
Crowned Member

I heard that the elevated food dishes can increase the risk of bloat because they can eat more faster and it goes down quicker.

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konotashi View Post
I heard that the elevated food dishes can increase the risk of bloat because they can eat more faster and it goes down quicker.
Exactly.

Quote:
Some causes are believed to be rapid eating, elevated food bowls, dry foods that contain citric acid as a preservative, dry foods that contain fat among the first four ingredients, insufficient pancreatic enzymes, dilution of gastric juices necessary for complete digestion by drinking too much water before or after eating, eating gas-producing foods, drinking too much water too quickly, heredity-especially having a first degree relative who has bloated, build & physical characteristics and disposition. In addition to the risk factors listed, many veterinarians believe that stress also causes bloat.

Read more: How an Elevated Dog Feeder Could Lead to Bloat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page