Wants to inhale the food - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Wants to inhale the food

So we brought our boy home last night. He was great. I'll post about the experience with some pics in another thread though. Right now I'm just curious about his eating.

Dutch is from a litter of 10. When I put down his food he wants to inhale it. I mean, he goes after the food aggressively. After I feed him he acts like he's starving. I don't want to overfeed him.

1. Is this disturbing behavior?

2. Is it normal for him to want more food?

3. How much should I be feeding an 8 week old pup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 05:37 PM

We had/have the same exact problem. Jackson acts like he never eats. No matter what, he is not aggressive in the mean way, but we have used a tennis ball to put in his dish at the same time to slow him down some. And it does a little bit. There are things you can buy at the local pet store for that, but for $.99, a tennis ball does the same thing-imo...
Hope that helps..

We went according to what our vet said, 3x a day-a cup a time.

When we feed out dogs, esp the first couple months, we put our hand in their food, around their mouths, and stuff to make sure they don't get food aggressive. Neither of them are.. Codi is 8.5 years, and Jackson is 5 months..

Kimi

Codi-May 14, 2002 female GSD
Jackson-May 15, 2010 male GSD
Memphis-Aug 3, 2011 male kitty
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 05:53 PM
Crowned Member

Puppies have to compete at the community food bowl. The fastest eater gets the most. I wish breeders didn't do this. If he's the only dog of the house, he should improve. If not, start feeding from your hand. I sometimes cover my dog's kibble with water so they'll slow down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 06:00 PM
Knighted Member

Zoe ate like a chow hound when she was a pup but slowed down considerably around nine months- be patient

As far as how much to feed she was eating 4-5 cups a day and now is eating more like 3 1/2-4 at 10 months.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 07:27 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoeys mom View Post
Zoe ate like a chow hound when she was a pup but slowed down considerably around nine months- be patient

As far as how much to feed she was eating 4-5 cups a day and now is eating more like 3 1/2-4 at 10 months.
I agree with the amounts but I also would want them to slow down.

They sell food bowls that are a huge help with this Dishes & Bowls for Dogs: DuraPet? Slow-Feed Bowl from Drs. Foster & Smith

http://www.sitstay.com/dog/supplies/...roductId=84402

Dog Bowl for fast eaters, Eat slow dog bowl, Slow eating dog bowl, Dog Bowl to slow eating, Slow down dog bowl

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

I've actually been giving him about a cup of food per meal, and I pace it out. I'll give a little bit, he'll eat it, and then I'll give a little more. I do this around 3 or 4 times.

Thanks for the tips though guys. I'm going to get one of those slow-feed bowls.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 10:43 PM
Elite Member

Before you invest in one of those bowls, you might want to consider putting a couple of tennis balls or hard rubber balls in his bowl. They do the same thing...slow them down while eating.

I did that with my GSD puppy just to keep her interested in her food and now she eats slowly and will even bring her ball and put it in there herself when she eats.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattycakes View Post
Before you invest in one of those bowls, you might want to consider putting a couple of tennis balls or hard rubber balls in his bowl. They do the same thing...slow them down while eating.

I did that with my GSD puppy just to keep her interested in her food and now she eats slowly and will even bring her ball and put it in there herself when she eats.
I already use a "slow feeder" bowl, and I feed her twice a day.
The "tennis ball" technique doesn't work- she picks up the ball and tosses it out of her way.. SHEESH!

What I do is watch her eat, and if she begins to eat too fast, I take away the bowl for a while, make her sit/lay down, then put the bowl back down.

I'm not sure if what I'm doing is correct, but it's better than seeing her finish her kibble in less than 2 minutes..

I've also been looking at this lately

Aikiou Interactive Food bowl

Anyone know/heard/use this before?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 08:05 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post

I already use a "slow feeder" bowl, and I feed her twice a day.
The "tennis ball" technique doesn't work- she picks up the ball and tosses it out of her way.. SHEESH!

What I do is watch her eat, and if she begins to eat too fast, I take away the bowl for a while, make her sit/lay down, then put the bowl back down.

I'm not sure if what I'm doing is correct, but it's better than seeing her finish her kibble in less than 2 minutes..

I've also been looking at this lately

Aikiou Interactive Food bowl

Anyone know/heard/use this before?
That looks neat! Buy it and take a video of your dog using it for us all to see!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
That looks neat! Buy it and take a video of your dog using it for us all to see!
I definitely will! I'll probably ask for it as a Holiday gift!

Katie
Birthday: 11/15/09
11 months young; 53#; Jindo/GSD
<3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page