Vet said feed more food - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Vet said feed more food

I went to the vet today, he claims to know all about the breed and seemed pretty knowledgeable. Memphis is 16 weeks and 32 lbs. He has a case of roundworms a few weeks back but I have him his medication and that cleared up. For some reason the vet said my current regiment of 3 cups total a day (1 3/4 is recommended for a 30lb dog) I figured 3 cups was enough. The vet says I need to up his food to 5 cups total per day. Im feeding fromm LBP.

Anyone else think this seems to be a bit much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 12:51 AM
Crowned Member

i think just with any other food, how much you feed depends on the size of the dog and the dogs activity level. I think as long as he's doing well on what you're feeding him and gaining weight nicely, he's fine. Up the food as he grows. Make sense or did i just manage to get tongue tied?

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

he put on 7.5 lbs in 3 weeks at 3 cups total per day. I dont want him growing to fast because i dont want to hurt his hips or elbows or anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 01:26 AM
Elite Member

32 pounds is maybe a little small for a male at 16 weeks. How skinny is your pup--can you feel his hips and the knobs of his spine? If so, you probably should feed him more.

Christine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Very very lightly. Like I need to press down to feel them, but if im just rubbing his back or anythign I dont feel it.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 01:32 AM
Crowned Member

I think you are right to be concerned with this advice. If the dog put on that much weight in a week, that is a lot of growth.

Fromm should be good food.

Lots of vets think you are working with crappy food like Purina or Iams. And you WOULD have to feed a lot more of that food. Look at the calories of those and see how much they suggest for a puppy of your weight and age.

But the food you are feeding is probably calorie dense, and probably 3 cups of that = 5 cups of the other stuff, all in all.

Remember that a little thin is a whole lot better than overweight. Better for heart and joints.

Good luck.

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 03:17 AM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post

But the food you are feeding is probably calorie dense, and probably 3 cups of that = 5 cups of the other stuff, all in all.
That was my thought as well. The vet is probably not familiar with the food and doesn't understand that its nutrient dense. Cheaper foods require such larger amounts for the dogs to get what they need.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 06:04 AM
Banned

1 and 3/4 cup doesn't sound like enough. where did you
get this information? i fed my pup 3 cups a day,
1 cup in the am., one cup at noon and one
cup in the pm. he also had some snaps. i never fed my dog puppy food.

(
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGS View Post
I went to the vet today, he claims to know all about the breed and seemed pretty knowledgeable. Memphis is 16 weeks and 32 lbs. He has a case of roundworms a few weeks back but I have him his medication and that cleared up. For some reason the vet said my current regiment of 3 cups total a day

(1 3/4 is recommended for a 30lb dog)

I figured 3 cups was enough. The vet says I need to up his food to 5 cups total per day. Im feeding fromm LBP.

Anyone else think this seems to be a bit much?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 06:42 AM
vat
Knighted Member

I feed Fromm and used the directions on the bag with no problem. 5 cups seems a bit much but I do not know your dog. Can you stand over the top of him while he is standing and snap a picture? If we could get that top view we could see how he looks.

If you feel he is thin maybe up it a bit. I did also feed 6 oz of frozen raw and a bit of cottage cheese with his dry when he was young.

Valerie

Shewana's Maximum Velocity (aka Max)
Shewana's Hot-Spice (aka Callan)

Kaycee 11/97-5/10
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rio 10/08-2/10

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
1 and 3/4 cup doesn't sound like enough. where did you
get this information? i fed my pup 3 cups a day,
1 cup in the am., one cup at noon and one
cup in the pm. he also had some snaps. i never fed my dog puppy food.

(
On the fromm bag. I checked and made sure it was total for the day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page