I visited a "natural pet supply"... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

I visited a "natural pet supply"...

So in my quest for information, I went into a small "natural pet supply" near my house because I saw that they carried some of the better brands off dogfoodanalysis.com. The woman who owned the shop was very helpful and spent roughly 30-45 minutes answering our questions. She recommended Nature's Logic because she felt it had the best overall ingredients. She specifically mentioned that NL does not have the fabricated vitamins and filler that some of the other brands use.

She also highly recommended using the NL as a base and adding meats, vegetables, and eggs to the meals to further supplement the diet of the puppy.

Furthermore, she said that the "only one dogfood" is a myth propagated by the major dog food manufacturers. She switches the different flavors on her dogs almost daily to vary their diet.

Thoughts? Does anyone here use NL? Do you mix in extra stuff into your dogs meal?

I've got another 1.5 weeks before I have to pick up my puppy so I want to figure out a good plan of attack.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 06:23 AM
Crowned Member

You're going to get lots of different opinions, and I personally don't think any manufactured food is going to be the only thing you should feed your dog for the rest of his life. I like to vary between one or two brands that my dogs can handle without getting runny poops. I wouldn't vary it daily, but rather maybe make a switch once or twice a year.

I also feed on meal of cooked meat (either chicken, beef, turkey or pork) every day. Snacks are fresh fruit or veggies. Sometimes I will roast veggies to add into the meat meal.

GSD's tend to have sensitive tummies. I would make first priority finding a food that works for your pup.

I've never used Nature's Logic for my dogs, but the name is familiar. If they have a cat food line, I probably fed it to my cats at one point.

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 10:35 AM
Elite Member

I don't feed Nature's logic Either. I checked on their site and they seem like a pretty decent food. One catch though. Large breed puppies can't have too much calcium in their diet. Higher amounts of calcium have led to bone malformations in puppies, and improper growth (the big ones need slow and steady growth). The Natures logic has well over 2% calcium and that is the listed minimum. The maximum calcium level you want for a large breed puppy would be 1.5%, maybe 1.7%

So because of that I wouldn't feed something like nature logic until your puppy is 12-18 months old and finished growing.

Do you remember any of the other brands that she had available in her store?

-Kira

Fur Family:
Dakota "Koda" GSD 02/20/2008
Chloe Calico 9/21/2007

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 02:49 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD
I don't feed Natures Logic but as far as switching up food goes, I switch flavors/brands with each new bag of food. I believe dogs need variety in their life just like we do. For example, I'm currently feeding Chance, Blue Buffalo Wilderness. The last bag was the duck formula and now he is eating the salmon formula. Next I'll switch him to the chicken formula or maybe one of the Taste of the Wild brand formulas. Basically as the first bag starts getting low, I start switching in the next one until the first bag is gone and he is switched completely to the new bag. I also add in things like meats, raw bones, eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt, olive oil and occasionally pureed veggies. I also give my dogs fish oil, vitamin E, vitamin c/ester-c, cranberry pills, glucosamine/chondroitin and garlic each day.

Congrats on your new puppy!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD
Should probably add that Wilderness and Taste of the Wild aren't appropriate for young puppies due to the calcium levels. But you can do the same thing with other brands as well, just switch them slowly over a couple of days.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDSunshine View Post
I don't feed Nature's logic Either. I checked on their site and they seem like a pretty decent food. One catch though. Large breed puppies can't have too much calcium in their diet. Higher amounts of calcium have led to bone malformations in puppies, and improper growth (the big ones need slow and steady growth). The Natures logic has well over 2% calcium and that is the listed minimum. The maximum calcium level you want for a large breed puppy would be 1.5%, maybe 1.7%

So because of that I wouldn't feed something like nature logic until your puppy is 12-18 months old and finished growing.

Do you remember any of the other brands that she had available in her store?
They had Innova and Canidae. There were a few others. I think she also sells raw meats there.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I'll keep an eye out for high calcium levels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page