9 week old being picky? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to allexblake
9 week old being picky?

Our nine week old female will turn her nose at her puppy chow if its dry. She will barely it half if there is nutro canned mixed with it. She will eat almost all with rice and chicken mixed with it...she will try not to eat the dry but has to if she wants to get to the chicken. She kind of whines sometimes while eating and walking away from the dish.
Im wondering if maybe a nine week old has teeth that are hurting from teething? Maybe thats why she wont eat the dry?

She drinks plenty and plays alot. There is no parasites at all either. We are thinking of buying the large breed nutro dry and mixing it with the canned nutro. I have read somewhere puppy chow is not a good choice for her and that we should get a meat based food.

Any input would be appreciated. TY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 08:44 PM
Knighted Member

Nutro and puppy chow aren't two foods I would happen to feed wet or dry. For what you would spend on Nutro you can actually get a much better food without corn, wheat, and soy products. However, I doubt it is the food that is making your pup picky. I assume at 9 weeks this puppy is new which means it is nervous and still adjusting to a new home. Lots of pups take a week or more to start eating well and thats normal. If you don't want to have to feed wet food mixed in don't do it at all now- your pup will not starve to death and quickly learn to eat what it is given. If you don't mind than go ahead it won't hurt them
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 09:33 PM
Elite Member

Try a better grade food. I feel so, so bad because a dog I had who has now passed, always turned up his nose to his food. Especially pedigree (i know you're feeding purina). Makes me wonder if he knew what was really in it . Try a better grade food and I'm sure she will eat. Cheap foods like puppy chow, kibbles n' bits, pedigree, ol' roy, iams, etc. all have CHEAP by-products, corn, rancid fat, chemical preservatives, etc. Things that are all NOT appealing to any living creature. Brands like Blue Buffalo, Natural Balance, and Wellness just to name a few, have ingredients like real meat, veggies, fruit, and broth which are much more appealing. Shop at Petco or Petsmart or a specialty store. Don't get Science Diet or Eukanuba either, it's basically just cheap ingredients with a huge price tag.

www.dogfoodanalysis.com

Good luck with your food search!

Laura

Jackson- DDR/WGSL 5/5/10
Tinah vom Gildaf- DDR 4/29/13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 09:44 PM

A trick we did with our dry puppy food was put just a tiny bit of water in and microwave it for 8-10 seconds. My wife heard this releases some of the smell and makes it more appealing.

Athena - German Shepherd
Duke - Boxer
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feed back. We plan on switching to a better food upon reading alot about the diffrent brands on here. We think the Nutro will not be a future purchase though. We will probably go with Natural Balance or BB. Any suggestions on which BB to get for her?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 10:02 PM
Knighted Member

Also look into Orijen LBP. BB makes a few puppy foods mostly with grains which is fine as long as they are decent grains- something you don't have to worry about with BB though. They have a LPB food which is great for GSD's and a longevity puppy food which looks decent too. You can also look at Eagle Pack, Solid Gold, Wellness, Orijen, or Innova
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Purchased Wellness puppy today. She loves it. She tried to pick the Wellness out of the Puppy Chow but I made her eat all the chow also to transition her. Got two free cans of wellness with the purchase and will mix it with the dry if she doesnt want to eat the dry alone. Never knew dog food had such variety in brands and the diffrent ingredients.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page