4health puppy chow or a "Large Breed" - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

4health puppy chow or a "Large Breed"

4Health is a decent dog food. 4 stars on dogfoodadvisor.com It's made by Diamond. I'm just not sure how it is for a GSD. My male puppy was raised on Purina Puppy Chow till I got him. The first 3-4 days I had him I bought the same, then Purina Pro Plan, then 4Health. I was dumb, but read enough on the net to learn *NO CORN* at least.. This is it: 4health Puppy Formula

I'm not an expert on what a GSD Large Breed needs compared to normal food.
He was 16# when I got him (I think?). 35# now. His birthday was 6/1 and he seems to be growing fast. His father was huge. I'm afraid the wife (and me maybe ) give him chicken, burger, and the juice from it when we cook. Dump a good bit on his normal kibble is all.

Are we doing ok? I know I'm doing way better than puppy chow, but a parent does worry. I took him to a vet for shots and was told Science Diet is the best.. I trust you guys more than I do vets. You don't have your hand in my wallet. TYVM for any insight.

- Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 07:20 PM

I fed it to a puppy and had no problems

Pack leader for Heide, Chazz, Izabella, and Ivan.

At the Bridge: Chico and Atja
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Crowned Member

Science Diet and Puppy Chow are two of the worst kibbles you can feed. You want a kibble that's meat based since dogs are carnivores and both of those are very grain heavy.

Don't listen to you vets about good kibbles to feed because they always just try to push the crap they sell in their office which is typically science diet.

Also, i'd stop with the hamburger juice. That's really not healthy for a puppy but it's your dog. I definitely wouldn't do that. It's also going to create a picky eater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 11:02 PM
Crowned Member

4Health is a good middle-of-the-road food, waaay better than Science Diet. It's been a long time since I've had a puppy, though; so I can't say if you should stick with the puppy formula or not. Some say larger breed pups shouldn't be fed puppy foods because they can cause too-rapid growth.

Edit: if you don't trust your vet, find one you can trust. When your dog has a life-threatening accident or illness, you don't want to have to wonder if your vet is prescribing the best course of action or is thinking about the bottom line.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM

Last edited by Emoore; 09-05-2010 at 11:05 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 11:20 PM
Banned

why is hamburger juice not healthy for a pup?
why will it create a picky eater?

my pup was fed a variety of food. different kibbles and can food.
he also had chicken, fish, veggies, fruit,
chicken broth, juice from beef, yogurt, table scraps, and more.
i'm not sure why giving a dog a variety of food will make
them picky. if they're eating many different things how
will that make them a picky eater?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post

Also, i'd stop with the hamburger juice. That's really not healthy for a puppy but it's your dog. I definitely wouldn't do that. It's also going to create a picky eater.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

So the 4health food is decent. Is his growth rate ok on it? 16# at 8 weeks, 35# now and his birthday was 6/1. I want a big dog, and it's in his genes to be big, but then I see people saying "Healthy Rate of Growth" a lot. I keep getting the idea a "Healthy Rate" means slow? I want a big dog. But I don't want bone problems. More calcium for fast growing puppy? More protein? Less of both and just let him grow to what's in his genes? The 4Health food is only 27% Protein and 1.2 % calcium. If I toss an egg or some burger or chicken in with it once a day is that ok? Maybe skim milk on it sometimes. He is skinny. No ribs sticking out but he's not fat. He lives most of the time in a 3/4 acre back yard fenced in with rabbits to chase. My 3yo and 4yo take turns chasing him, and being chased by him. Our friends have mean little ankle biter dogs. My kids just love having a big all black puppy that only nips a bit for fun.

- Joe
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 01:25 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
why is hamburger juice not healthy for a pup?
why will it create a picky eater?

my pup was fed a variety of food. different kibbles and can food.
he also had chicken, fish, veggies, fruit,
chicken broth, juice from beef, yogurt, table scraps, and more.
i'm not sure why giving a dog a variety of food will make
them picky. if they're eating many different things how
will that make them a picky eater?
Isn't the hamburger juice just the beef fat in a liquid form? How is feeding hamburger fat healthy?

And i didn't mean it definitely will create a picky eater, but it's not going to help the cause. If you've got a picky eater and they have the choice of kibble or some cooked table scraps, what do you think they're going to choose. I mean every dog is different, but it's not something i'd start a puppy off with. It's just a suggestion.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 01:28 AM
Crowned Member

I think he is growing pretty fast. I think that 27% protein and 1.2% calcium is high. I think it is better to feed him an adult kibble at this point.

Corn is not bad, but low quality corn can be. So most just avoid it altogether.

Look at your ingredients. Having a meat or even a meat meal in the first place doesn't mean all that much if it is followed by several grains and grain fragments, ie rice flour, rice bran, brown rice, brewers rice, oatmeal, millet, etc, etc.

Personally, I will not serve ANYTHING made by Diamond. They were involved in the last two major recalls, and since Canidae started having Diamond manufacture their food, I had nothing but trouble with it and after almost a year, I gave up and switched. Good luck finding food NOT made by Diamond though.

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 01:32 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
Isn't the hamburger juice just the beef fat in a liquid form? How is feeding hamburger fat healthy?

And i didn't mean it definitely will create a picky eater, but it's not going to help the cause. If you've got a picky eater and they have the choice of kibble or some cooked table scraps, what do you think they're going to choose. I mean every dog is different, but it's not something i'd start a puppy off with. It's just a suggestion.
Actually, dogs and people's needs are very different. Dogs need animal fat. Hopefully not in an ingredient form listed as animal fat, but beef drippings should not hurt the dog if done in moderation -- 1 teaspoon to a cup of kibble, or two cups of kibble.

I agree that adding "gravy" to the dog's food can make him picky, usually if a dog needs to put on weight, I will give some fat. Otherwise, I figure they are getting enough fat from their kibble.

Fat from hamburger or chicken that you buy in the store is probably much better than the stuff from rendering plants cooked into kibble.

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 12:28 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Growth rate.

A dog is going to reach the size they're genetically "programmed" to reach, so long as you don't do anything to stunt their growth. You can't feed anything that will make them grow bigger unless you over-feed and it makes them fat. You can feed food that will make them grow too fast, which can cause bone and joint problems. Some puppy foods contain a lot of calcium and phosphorus which will lead to a too-rapid growth rate.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page