Won't eat breakfast - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Question Won't eat breakfast

I'm not sure why, but for the last week or so, Tater stopped eating breakfast. He has no interest in it at all, is this normal for an 8 month old?

He gets a mix of Orijen and Innova. He eats dinner without a problem, so we've been giving him breakfast and dinner at once. So these are my thoughts:

1. He's bored of his food
2. We started giving him an egg 3 times a week and maybe he wants one all the time
3. We feed him breakfast too soon after he wakes up

I'm not sure what his deal is, but he used to gobble his breakfast up and now he doesn't even want to taste it. Is it ok to give him all his food at dinner if he doesn't eat it for breakfast?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 12:59 PM

There was a great post here a few days ago about a dog who wouldn't eat. The owner eventually figured out that the dog didn't like the feeding dish. Switched the plate and position and dog was back to normal. You can try different things like that to see if it helps. Maybe the poster will have more info than I recall.

chris and clark (whelped 07/18/2008)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Crowned Member

Stosh just turned 8 mos old and he's doing the same thing, some mornings he's hungry, some not. But he's very active and happy, vet says he's a good weight [78 lbs] with just enough covering over his ribs so not to worry about it. I give him the breakfast and dinner portions together at night and he eats most of it but not all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp View Post
There was a great post here a few days ago about a dog who wouldn't eat. The owner eventually figured out that the dog didn't like the feeding dish. Switched the plate and position and dog was back to normal. You can try different things like that to see if it helps. Maybe the poster will have more info than I recall.
the thing is, he eats dinner without a prob. I dont understand why he won't eat breakfast lol.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 08:02 PM
Crowned Member

They go through stages with their food needs and consumption. It depends on it they're having a growth spurt, how much exercise they're getting, the heat, etc. As long s he's eating one good meal I wouldn't worry about it, he'll catch up if he needs to. You could try giving him a scrambled egg for breakfast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page