Is 7 months to young for wilderness? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Is 7 months to young for wilderness?

I have been feeding Zoey Blue Buffalo LBP. She has done great on it. I want to get her off of puppy food, is she to young for the Wilderness?

Jennifer

Bishop's Zoey Isabella 1-30-2010
SBD Posejpal's Major 6-16-2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 12:42 AM
Crowned Member

The calcium is too high for growing puppies

I think the only safe grain free food for puppies is Orijen

-Brandi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
6-5-09

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 12:43 AM
Crowned Member

Is there a reason you want to get her off of puppy food? Ideally she should be on it until at LEAST 12 months.

Yes, she is too young for wilderness. Keep her on a LBP food with low calcium content until at LEAST 12 months.

If she's doing great, why change it?

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

So she need to stay on puppy food? Two weeks ago she weighed 57 lbs.

Jennifer

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 01:00 AM
Crowned Member

You don't have to stay on puppy food, you could switch to an adult food that had acceptable levels of calcium for puppies but Wilderness and all other grain free foods except Orijen do not have acceptable levels.

Her weight is not the issue, she is still growing and developing and will continue to do so. Many people feed puppy food past 12 months

-Brandi

6-5-09

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 01:06 AM
Crowned Member

Stick to the Blue Buffalo LBP or adult formula until at least 2 years old. They stop growing around that time, so a switch to wilderness should be ok then.

Is there a reason you want to switch?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

I just thought the GS did not need to stay on puppy food very long because they grow too fast on it. I have no problem keeping her on the puppy food. I just want to do what is best for her,that is the reason I asked first.

Jennifer

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 01:53 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey2010 View Post
I just thought the GS did not need to stay on puppy food very long because they grow too fast on it. I have no problem keeping her on the puppy food. I just want to do what is best for her,that is the reason I asked first.
LBP food actually has less calcium to promote slow growth which is actually good for large breed pups like german shepherds. Large breed puppy food is nice, you don't want to feed regular puppy food. Maybe that's where you're getting confused. There's definitely a difference between LBP and regular puppy.

Most grain free foods have too much calcium which is why most here will recommend not to feed until they're done growing.

It's the calcium that you need to watch out for. Blue Buffalo LBP or their adult formula (excluding the wilderness formula) should be fine until she's 2. Once she's done growing, you can switch her to whatever you want.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 06:48 AM
Knighted Member

If you are looking to go grain free for a puppy, you can try Acana grain free "Pacifica". It is safe for puppies. Acana is made by the same company as Orijen, and is high quality kibble. However although they say all flavors are ALS the Pacifica flavor is the only one I am comfortable with. Jake is 6 months and ever since I switched from BB his poops are perfect. BB just didn't agree with him. Good luck on the food search.

Renee'

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 01:37 PM

I, and many others qualified, would actually suggest not going off a LBP food until after 18 weeks. It does not hurt them to stay on it, and there is good evidence that there is still some benefit to be had from a LBP food after 1 year.

This is iVet's brand recommendation (I am currently undecided about this particularly food in general though, but they do seem to address some good concerns with the manufacturing process), but I have heard it from several veterinarians as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page