Innova Puppy Food (Not eating it all) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
KAE

Innova Puppy Food (Not eating it all)

I've been reading the forums since I've had my puppy, and most of the problems I can search for and find my answers. But this one I can not seem to narrow it down.

When I first got him, I started to feed TOTW and he ate it just fine. But then I found out I should wait till he is older to eat it. So then I bought him Diamonds Naturals LBP and he ate it plain for the first week, but then I had to mix in some wet food for him to eat it. So when that bag ran out, I moved to Solid Gold LBP and he never ate it plain, I would always have to mix in some wet food again. Now I am feeding him Innova LBP and he still doesn't eat it plain.

I went through and read that I should just offer him his plain food, and if he doesn't eat it, pick it up and try again about 20 minutes later. I'm sure sooner or later he will start to eat his food.

But what I noticed was that most people only need to feed their dogs about 3-4 cups a day. For the age and weight of my puppy (16 weeks old and just about 40lbs) it suggests feeding 5 3/8 cups a day of food. I 'try' to feed him three times a day, thinking that he will be hungry enough to eat about 1.5 cups to 2 cups of food each time.

The Innova is about to run out soon and I'm going to start mixing in Blue's LBP soon, which thankfully requires only 3-4 cups a day for a 4 month old puppy, but for 5-12 months requires 4-5 cups a day.

Does anyone think that the amount of food required seems a little high, or should I change it from 3 times a day to 2 times a day and maybe he will be hungry enough to eat the proper amount?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 10:50 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Without knowing the amount of calories each food has (too lazy to look them up!) it's impossible to really compare them. Obviously with a more calorically dense food you'd feed less than you would one with fewer calories. 5-3/8 cups a day does seem like an awful lot of food though.

He may have decided he doesn't like the food that much, he may be ready to switch to twice a day meals from three times a day, or it could be that the "recommended" amount (which is just a general guideline, not set in stone) isn't the right amount for him.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 10:57 PM
Crowned Member

How is he handling the food switches? Any reason you are changing foods so much?

I don't feed by the bag they usually suggest an amount over what is needed. If your dog feels thin then feed more.

My pup would throw up bile in the morning so I had to feed 3 meals, cutting back to two meals should be fine. I would not mix anything with the food and continue to set it down and if not eaten pick it up.

-Brandi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
6-5-09

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
KAE

Innova:
3,566 kcal/kg
367 kcal/cup

Blue:
3,553 kcal/kg
450 cal/cup

I've switched food so many times because I've had him since 4 weeks old. (a completely different story, which is a long one too. Explains why I've been looking through the boards so much)

But I was looking for a food that I can feed to him plain and he'll eat. But now I'm just thinking he is not eating because I haven't mixed anything with the food.

Also, he has done fine with the switches, his stools are normal and everything, and the vet has said he is very healthy. But from looking around tonight, I found out that sooner or later he'll eat the food, but I shouldn't just leave it out for him to come and whenever HE wants, and that the recommended amount COULD be too much for him too. Is this right?
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 02:00 AM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAE View Post
Innova:
3,566 kcal/kg
367 kcal/cup

Blue:
3,553 kcal/kg
450 cal/cup
Okay, if you're feeding 5-3/8 cups of Innova that would be equivalent to approximately 4-1/3 cups of BB.

Some pups are just not good eaters. Others will eat anything, I have two like that now. They've never refused a meal in their lives and would eat until they exploded, but one of my cats is a very picky eater and it's hard to keep weight on him. I had to try a few different foods to find something he liked and would consistently eat. There's nothing wrong with adding a little something to your pup's kibble to make it more interesting.

Rather than switch his food yet again, why don't you try cutting down the 3rd meal and transitioning him to 2 meals a day. At 16 weeks old you can certainly do that - I've had a couple of pups that were on 2 meals a day when I got them at 9 weeks old, but they did get a lot of training treats throughout the day so they weren't really having to wait 12 hours between meals. Halo was on 3 meals for awhile longer because I was taking long lunches and coming home midday for a couple of months. I can't remember exactly when she went to 2 meals a day. If he's still not eating all of it on 2 meals a day then it's probably more food than he needs.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 07:58 AM
Knighted Member

That is a lot of food! Jake is 6 months and he eats between 3 to 4 cups a day depending if he gets any RAW. He is on Acana grain free pacifica. Seems to me pup isn't hungry and needs the wet food or additive to encourage eating???? Just a thought.

Renee'

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 08:45 AM
Crowned Member

Hi-I also feed Innova LBP. Check out their website-they have a food calculator, I always check it. Feeding recomendations differ depending on the food.

Here's a link: Cat, Kitten, Puppy and Dog Feeding Guideline Calculator – Natura Pet Products

Switching foods can be stressful! Hope this helps a little.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 10:10 AM
Knighted Member

I feel you don't just use the guide, you need to look and feel your puppy and also use that as a gauge. From the sounds of it, he is being over fed AND it beginning to be a picky eater.

Renee'

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
KAE

After the Blue, I really don't know what I'd do if he doesn't like it. When I was at another pet store about 2 weeks ago, a rep from Blue pretty much sold me on to it, talking about how good it is, and things they've done too it, but then again that is her job.

But how would I switch from 3 times a day to 2 times a day. Last time he has eaten anything was about 8PM. It is about 11AM now, and he has only sniffed his food.

Oh yeah, he isn't fat or anything, to me he is kinda on the slim side. I have to go to the vet today to buy another comfortis pill, so maybe the vet will tell me if he thinks my pup is starting to get too slim. But what you said, jakeandrenee, about he isn't hungry enough and needs the wet to encourage, thats what I think too.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 10:48 AM
Knighted Member

Then give him 15 min to eat if he doesn't eat PUT HIS FOOD up....try again at lunch time....and so on...make sure he has plenty of fresh water.
Does he take training treat???

Renee'

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page