Raw Diet questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Question Raw Diet questions

Hi! I'm new to this website so bare with me. I have a 12 week old puppy named Brody. I'm a little confused on the best food for him. I've been pulled in the raw direction and the kibble direction by my vet. His breeder fed him a combo of natures variety rabbit and TOTW kibble. He has Giardia, which seems to be a difficult thing to kick from what I read. Right now I'm feeding him Bravo Chicken and Turkey for breakfast and lunch. And for dinner I'm trying to feed him Solid Gold Large Breed kibble for dinner. He has a some diarreah after the kibble. I want him to get the best nutrition possible. The Bravo tubes are just so expensive and I would like to buy the meat myself, I just really don't know how much and of what to give him. Plus I read about people adding in all these supplements to their dogs raw diets...which makes it seem like it can be expensive. If anyone could help that would be great. I just need a guideline of what I should be feeding him raw wise as a puppy and if supplements are needed, which ones? My vet isn't supportive of the raw diet so he's not a big help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 04:28 PM
Crowned Member

Hi there,

I know you PM'd me but I find it easier to post here.

This is what I did with Stark, there are many ways to feed raw but this is how I do it.

First off, I estimate his adult ideal weight, so this means that I have to know his sire and dams size, talk to the breeder and look in his pedigree and compare and guesstimate.

Once I have the adult ideal weight, then I figure out what 2% of that weight it. So, Stark was estimated to weigh 100lbs (which I don't think he is going to get too as he is 17 months and 79lbs). I will use 100lbs for this example though so not to confuse you too much.

So, 2% of 100lbs is 2lbs.

Once I have how much food I need to feed per day, I need to break that down into categories.

RMB - Raw meaty bones (edible bones with some meat on them)
Ex. chicken backs, chicken quarters, turkey necks, turkey quarters, chicken wings, riblets (pork or beef), etc..

MM - Muscle meat (muscle meats with no bone)
Ex. chicken breast, ground beef, pork or beef hearts, chicken gizzards, etc.

OM - Organ meat
Ex. liver, brains, kidneys

I use the equation of:

50% RMB
45% MM
5% OM

So, using the 2lbs that I calculated before and putting in the %'s from the above equation I get:

RBM (50%) - 1lbs
MM (45%) - 14.4 ounces
OM (5%) - 1.6 ounces

This is what Stark gets every day. I feed him once per day NOW but with a puppy I tried to feed him 2-3 times per day. I just break up the meal into three small ones. Plus with all the healthy training treats puppies get, that was sufficient.

I am just getting ready for work, so I am doing this in kind of a hurry, if you have any questions or need me to clarify just PM me again.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thank you sooo much!! I really appreciate it! That makes it so much easier the way you broke it up! Is there anything that I should hold off giving him until he is older? Or is everything pretty much ok?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Oh yeah..one more thing...do you add any supplements to his diet at all? I see people talking about it sometimes, and then I see some people dont!?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 10:10 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesley1905 View Post
Thank you sooo much!! I really appreciate it! That makes it so much easier the way you broke it up! Is there anything that I should hold off giving him until he is older? Or is everything pretty much ok?

I would start with chicken to begin with, easier on the tummy. After a week or two of say chicken backs and ground chicken then I would add in another MM say, ground beef. You can hold off on giving him the organ meat for a few weeks too if you like.

You usually start with one protein source at a time to allow the body to get use to it and to determine allergies if there is any, but with a young dog I just start off giving everything, that's just my preference though.

XX z Weberhaus
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 10:11 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesley1905 View Post
Oh yeah..one more thing...do you add any supplements to his diet at all? I see people talking about it sometimes, and then I see some people dont!?
I give him raw eggs (shell and all) about 4-5 times per week (sometimes no shell) and I just started (a few weeks ago) to give him Vit. C (500mg) twice per day.

XX z Weberhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page