I thought it would be Harder! (I also have a Question). - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I thought it would be Harder! (I also have a Question).

Mom free feeds 4 of our dogs Purina Dog chow. Despite my greatest efforts, she refuses to switch them to a better diet. I'm not paying for it, so there's really nothing I can do.
I wanted to get everyone on a feeding schedule so that my pup wouldn't eat that food, but it turns out I didn't need to.

When Ozzy's out running around, he only goes over there for a drink, but won't TOUCH their food, which is available 24/7. When I went out to switch him from Purina Puppy Chow (what his breeder was feeding) to Blue Buffalo, as SOON as I mixed in the BB, he didn't touch the Purina. I'm so happy that I don't have to worry about him eating their food. I still watch him when he goes over there just to make sure, but so far he doesn't even look at it.

Now my question: I know that Blue Wilderness isn't good for GSD puppies because the protein content can damage their bone structure while they're growing. But would it be alright for me to feed it to Ozzy, since he's not going to go through a crazy growth spurt, given he's a toy breed?

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 10:46 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konotashi View Post

Now my question: I know that Blue Wilderness isn't good for GSD puppies because the protein content can damage their bone structure while they're growing. But would it be alright for me to feed it to Ozzy, since he's not going to go through a crazy growth spurt, given he's a toy breed?

it has nothing to do with protein levels, but rather the calcium levels. that is really more of a concern for large breed pups. ive seen some toy owners start right out with the higher Ca grainless foods.

maybe some actual toy owners will chime in on this.

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page