how much to feed my puppy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Red face how much to feed my puppy?

i feed my puppy 3 times a day and try to keep at 1/3 cup every meal but she seems to be very hungry and always once more. should i give her more? any suggestions? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 07:30 PM
Crowned Member

I don't limit feed puppies unless they are the sort that will gorge themselves. I much prefer to let them eat as much as they want three times a day and pick up the food in between meals. Once they start getting a little, and I mean a little, too heavy, then I start to limit feed and that's usually around six months of age.

The amount fed doesn't sound like a lot. You have to look at your puppy and see if she's too thin or a bit chunky to decide if you need to feed more or not. They have growth spurts and need to eat more during them so keep that in mind if she suddenly acts more hungry than normal yet has a good weight.

Keep in mind that some dogs will keep eating until they explode and still look for more so you can't always go by the fact that she's acting hungry.

Elaine and the herd
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 09:31 PM
Elite Member

How old is your pup? What does the food bag recommend? A cup a day isn't much food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 09:40 PM
Crowned Member

what are you feeding? or can you give the amount of calories per cup

-Brandi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
6-5-09

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

@veronica she is 10 weeks old and the bag said 1 cup for her weight but it seems low so i dont know
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

im feeding her blue buffalo puppy formula im not sure the calories
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 11:42 PM
Crowned Member

is this what you're feeding? Blue Buffalo - All Natural Chicken and Brown Rice Puppy Food

If she's getting plenty of exercise I would feed at the high end (3 cups) and see how she does. Watch her weight, you want her lean but not all ribs visible. Don't get set in feeding the same amount everyday though. As Elaine said when they go through a growth spurt they will need more food than usual. Same as if they played extra hard or did a lot of training and got treats or maybe had a lazy day with little exercise.

-Brandi

6-5-09

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 02:10 AM
Crowned Member

You definitely need to be feeding more than 1 cup total a day. Like Brandi mentioned in her above post, 3 cups per day (1 cup per meal) would be a good start.

Also, get your pup off the regular puppy formula and either feed the large breed puppy formula or the adult formula. The large breed formula has less calcium.

Last edited by Lucy Dog; 08-21-2010 at 02:12 AM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

yes that is the correct chart. i started this morning with a cup and will continue the rest of the day like that. @ lucy dog the brand i have is blue buffalo life protection with life source for puppy is that okay? thanks guys
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

@ lucy dog correction on the food i see what u are saying i saw the large breed puppy food compared to what i have. they all are life protection formula im a dummy lol. i will try the other one and see how it goes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page