I need feed back on Acana - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I need feed back on Acana

I got my results back from the vet and at least as of now he is showing no allergies....he is still itchy and biting his legs so I am continuing the Benedryl for now. The digging in his left ear has stopped and it's no longer red and puffy so he has an allergy to something.
Through this whole process I was sure he had an allergy to chicken and maybe grains. So I found (with help from here) that Acana makes ALS grain free food...so I began to switch him over to the Pacifica flavor (chicken free). I would like to continue to go grain free at this point and would like to hear from others if they liked Acana and what flavors their dogs enjoyed. My end goal is to go RAW but I am so concerned I won't get it right I want to keep him 50/70%kibble while I figure it all out. He is also taking salmon oil, vit e and vit c.

I considered going back to BB but the grain free isn't safe for Jake just yet, he is 6 months.

Thanks for the feedback.

Renee'

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Master Member

I've been using Pacifica for the past 4 months or so for my GSD with chicken allergy. Champion is a great company with very high standards for their Origen and Acana lines. Pacifica is the only one without any chicken protein or fat - Prairie and Grasslands have either chicken or chicken fat plus eggs. Quinn has done very well on the Pacifica, no biting or scratching, shiny coat, stools were a little hard though. So I tried him on Lamb and Apple which has some oatmeal in it. That helped the stools but he has had a major flare with itching and biting, so no more Lamb and Apple until I see if that is causing the itchies. Someone with more nutrition knowledge than me can probably advise you if 6 months is too young to go grain free.

Please don't litter. Neuter your pets!

Quinn, Mar. 8/07 - Dec. 13/18, my best boy
Shadow, 1995-2007, always in my heart
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Knighted Member

Why is grain free bad for pups? Many I know have had it since weaning and seem fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Since his test came back with no allergies to chicken I thought I consider trying another flavor. I am at the bottom of this small bag and thought I'd ask how others were doing on Acana's grain free products BEFORE I buy more....

Renee'

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Most grain free are not safe for puppies because the cal/phos levels are too high....
Anyone else have an opinion on Acana?

Renee'

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 10:51 PM
Knighted Member

I know I have heard it is an awesome food comparable to Orijen who I think also makes Acana products? I know I was looking into it when I switched to grain free but it was out of my price range
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 06:54 AM
Crowned Member

I fed the Orijen LB puppy. The Acana is a little lower in quality and is Champion's less pricey food but still appears of good quality.
I would feed the Acana large breed puppy formula, if I could not do the Orijen.

I feed raw and kibble also.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I can't get Orijen.

Is the LBP Acana grain free????

Renee'

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Anyone else have any feedback for me about Acana?

Renee'

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 11:05 AM
Master Member

Acana LBP contains steamed oats and brown rice as carbs. See Champion Petfoods | ACANA | Products - Puppy Small Breed and click links for all ingredients. It is interesting to see that Champion is marketing Origen and Acana well into the States. It started out as a small Canadian company in Alberta. Maybe I should invest....

Please don't litter. Neuter your pets!

Quinn, Mar. 8/07 - Dec. 13/18, my best boy
Shadow, 1995-2007, always in my heart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page