Need help with puppy feeding please - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Need help with puppy feeding please

My daughter bought a silver lab @ 8 weeks old being fed Iams puppy food she also was given the remaining meds for worms. I had her switching slowly over to Blue Buffalo LB formula. During this time Lucy started with the squirts only to find out she had a parasite. After putting her on chicken & rice only for about 1 week I thought we should just start her on BB but feeding her 4 times a day and less than 1/2 cup each time. Lucy is 10 weeks old and weighs 10 lbs tops. She did fine for 3-4 days but now has the runs again and I am not sure what direction to take this.
Perhaps the BB is to rich or shes allergic to something, or maybe I shouldn't have had her start entirely on BB.
I chose BB for the price value of a quality food but what should I do for poor Lucy at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 07:31 AM
Knighted Member

Maybe it's too much food? Is two cups a day a lot of BB for 10weeks? I would go slower. Over cooked rice and chicken and slowly add the bb in to the mixture. Give her a chance to adjust to it. Also adding a little bit of canned PURE pumpkin can help firm up her stools.

Renee'

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 09:36 AM
Crowned Member

I agree with what Renee said- we've been going through parasites and elevated bacteria levels- and fed the same meal that she's described, slowly adding dry over a week. You might give the puppy some Gatorade to keep her from becoming dehydrated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 09:44 AM
Crowned Member

I would have another fecal run to be sure the pup is free of parasites, many times you need to treat every two weeks, 3 treatments til they all clear.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 10:26 AM
Knighted Member

if free of parasites it could be the richness. there are some dogs that can't handle BB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page