Antlers and calcium - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Antlers and calcium

You read about keeping calcium levels under 2% for large breed puppies. Which has me thinking, is it OK to give my 6 month old an antler bone to chew on? It is a bone which means its high in calcium. Just a little concerned on whether or not its OK. Maybe its a trivial amount so no need for concern? He has a nylabone but I just introduced him to an antler bone the other day and he LOVES it. The only downside is that its not lasting as long as I thought it would. They have such powerful jaws. Any advice would be appreciated!

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 08-04-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 08:49 PM

If you are talking about REAL antlers then I'm surprised that your pup is tearing through it so quick. I just bought Elvis his first antlers and it's extremely hard ... extremely hard. The gal at the shop told me that she gives her dogs antlers and they last a long time. Elvis only has his pup teeth and maybe that's why he isn't going through it quickly.

Are you talk about real antlers or something called antler bone?

Elvis - DOB 4/15/10
RIP: King #2 - 11 1/2 yr old black GSD (1997-2008)
RIP: King #1 - 3 yr old GSD/Coyote mix (1993-1996)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisP View Post
If you are talking about REAL antlers then I'm surprised that your pup is tearing through it so quick. I just bought Elvis his first antlers and it's extremely hard ... extremely hard. The gal at the shop told me that she gives her dogs antlers and they last a long time. Elvis only has his pup teeth and maybe that's why he isn't going through it quickly.

Are you talk about real antlers or something called antler bone?
I'm talking the 100% natural stuff. "Antlerz" brand:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0023UP7AS/ref=oss_product
I was expecting it to last a lot longer than it did. I gave it to him on Thursday last week and by Tuesday night this week, I had to throw it out because it was already half gone. I think its the marrow inside that he is determined to get to.

I bought the "Jumbo" size, maybe I need to go with the "Monster" size next time. He's a bit over 6 months now and pretty much has all of his adult teeth. The Nylabone Durachew lasts way longer but I'm not crazy about letting him digest bits of plastic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

So I guess no one knows the answer to this? What about regular raw beef bones etc? Should I hold off giving him bones in general due to calcium levels? I can't find anything on the internet regarding this; only Ca levels in dry kibble.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 01:04 PM
Crowned Member

I think you have a great question. I'm also interested in what others have to say. I'm very careful with calcium / phosphorus ratio's with my puppy (19 weeks).

We also give real deer/elk antlers to chew on-but he's had the same ones for almost 2 months now and has come no where close to consuming them. Is he wearing his teeth down?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page