Feeding raw eggs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Question Feeding raw eggs

This is going to sound kind of silly, but...how do you feed your dog a raw egg? I assume you just crack it open over his kibble, but I don't know for sure lol.

Also, if you add a raw egg, do you feed slightly less kibble for that meal?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Elite Member

I just crack it and put it in the bowl. Some time with the shell sometimes, without. And I never remove any kibble, since he doesn't get it with every meal and it does't add that much extra calories.

-Kira

Fur Family:
Dakota "Koda" GSD 02/20/2008
Chloe Calico 9/21/2007

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too"
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 01:51 PM
Crowned Member

Yep - just crack on top of kibble and mix. Lucy goes nuts when she sees the eggs come out. I'll usually give her about 1 or 2 a week.

I think there are about 50-60 calories in an egg, so i'll give just a little less kibble that day. So instead of the full 100% kibble, maybe give about 90-95% that day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 02:59 PM
Knighted Member

I always remember about the egg after I feed her. Never would have thought to throw in the shell.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Knighted Member

If you are feeding a good quality kibble, it is balanced and has the correct amount of calcium - you shouldn't add to it by feeding the shell. Especially with a puppy, too much calcium is a bad thing.....the egg itself is excellent protein, I feed my adult dogs a raw egg every day, it's great for their coats!

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 04:32 PM
Master Member

I feed a raw egg (the yolk part) 2-3 times a week. I scramble up the whites and put that he their bowl as well. You would get more calcium from the shell if you bake it and crush it into powder than you would feeding it raw.

Kelly S
Boeselager German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 04:45 PM

Why did I read that egg whites aren't good for dogs? I always thought the whole egg was fine.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 04:52 PM
Master Member

I read that some where too, and someone did tell me but can't remember. Something about it saying it's not good to give them the egg whites raw all the time, so it's best to cook them. Which I do.

Kelly S
Boeselager German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 05:55 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeselager View Post
I read that some where too, and someone did tell me but can't remember. Something about it saying it's not good to give them the egg whites raw all the time, so it's best to cook them. Which I do.
I think that myth has been pretty much debunked. Both Mary Straus (www.dogaware.com) and Lew Olson (www.b-naturals.com) are experts in the field of nutrition, esp. raw food and neither one thinks there is any problem with raw egg whites. My dogs get a raw egg every day, have done for years, and have never had a problem because of the whites not being cooked.

BTW - why on earth would you want to bake an eggshell?

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge
Anja SchH3 GSD
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 06:03 PM

It's a good way of adding calcium powder to your dog's food.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in